mixture tweaking

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
ok fellas so a whole replacement ECU for an ST is going to cost more than the purchase price of the car and due to the setup of the S/C and turbo, going to be overly complicated. So i'm not keen on that road. More interested in things i can do myself or mostly myself.

setup: stock motor, turbo back exhaust 2.5inch, fmic, shortened intake with pod, brand new oxy sensor & wideband to keep and eye on the mixtures

my question is, what do you think the best way is to combat my currently rich mixtures?

nothing with the unit itself, but i don't have the knowledge to remap it, so need to use something to get it running good and proper

nothing with the unit itself, but i don't have the knowledge to remap it, so need to use something to get it running good and proper

Well Ed does it in the Uk,Dont know how he'd map it though without the car?I'm not sure how it all works.I have a E-manage blue unit in mine and it produces just over 150hp at 1.2bar and 142hp at 1bar which is used for everyday driving.Obviosly there's other things to factor in like I've a larger tubby,clutch likes ####tin itself so have me a Nismo pressure plate and disc to hold the torque.

But you've got a good base car with the front mount and there is alot of power to be got from the standard turbo,130-140hp with the right map Imo

yeah im thinking emanage might be the way to go, to be honest, not really chasing power! i just want it to run correct mixtures to not wear anything out anytime quick as i don't have spares to fix it

My mechanic investigated a few different mapping softwares for the MA09 and came to the conclusion that the majority of them were rubbish. He said that you could play around with em and tweak to make em give you the figures you want but ultimately it would be a painful exercise that could be done much more easily with an aftermarket unit. Not to mention the aftermarket units are better for trouble shooting, which is a better option for your needs in my opinion.

I have no doubt you can make the stock ecu haul just as much a$$ as any after market, but you have to ask yourself, "Who is doing all the work on it?" and if you're paying for your mappings then you don't wanna be paying for 3hrs of mapping.

Having said that, you have a much more hands on approach to your ST than i do. So if you're planning on doing the mapping yourself then maybe talking to Ed about it and learning about the stock ecu may be a good idea.

yeah ideally i'd be able to tweak the ecu to lean it out at some load points, as i don't see Ed giving up his hard-learned knowledge there (and my nerd skills don't go that far)

i will rely on a few dyno runs here and there, my wideband, keen ear for detonation and some form of interceptor

as i said, i'm not actually chasing power which will stress the standard internals, i just want it to make the most of what is there, i've had an intake temp probe in for the last week and the fmic smooths out the temps really nicely, where they only ever go ten over ambient on really hot days in still traffic where it would be stupid to give it a bootfull anyway

AFAIK there is no after market ecu that can easily be adapted to work with the ST due to the amount of actuators and solenoids it would need to control.

Best bet is to stick with OEM one.

HOWEVER Have a look at an S-AFC

Its a 2d fuel controller and I have a feeling will do what you want perfectly. ;)

Ed

AFAIK there is no after market ecu that can easily be adapted to work with the ST due to the amount of actuators and solenoids it would need to control.

Best bet is to stick with OEM one.

HOWEVER Have a look at an S-AFC

Its a 2d fuel controller and I have a feeling will do what you want perfectly. ;)

Ed

I remember you sying an safc is a bodge job on a superturbo and to be honest they look poy sitting on the dash like

It totally depends what you need it for. In your case its not ideal, in Smidges case its totally fine

'poy sittin on the dash like' haha i love reading the slang from different countries :D

i'm less worried about getting the top end power back as i am about washing oil from the bores with excess fuel in the chambers! so that seems reason enough

seeing as the local dyno boys aren't that bright, if i get on their dyno and map it, should i be concerned about ignition timing as i understand i've got no active control over that with a 2d AFM interceptor type thing

Don't worry about IGN timing. OEM map has huge safety zone as the stock ECU has no knock feedback. It will take a lot more ignition than you would think, especially with FMIC.

Don't worry about IGN timing. OEM map has huge safety zone as the stock ECU has no knock feedback. It will take a lot more ignition than you would think, especially with FMIC.

As a matter of interest what how many extra degrees of ignition could be ran on ordinary 95 octane fuel,thats what mine is mapped with now

There is no fixed number, there are too many variables to be honest. It needs to be tried in practice.

you guys only got 95 over there? we got 98 but its still not close to the highest ron jap fuel you can get eh

what were they designed to run on?

We have 99 here. Ireland where Barry is, is different.

Well I'm not 100% sure because topaz have taking over statoil and sheel service stations the car seems to run alot nicer with that fuel.It does'nt like Maxol E5

Back