Missing!

Hi

I bought this Micra Colette in Feb 09 and had no trouble until about a three weeks before Christmas.

The car suddenly started missing, intermittently. This became progressively worse so we decided to replace all the electrics.

Coil
Condenser
Rotor arm
HT leads
Distributor cap

This was done in stages to see what was causing the problem. Eventually we replaced the condenser again and for awhile this seemed to work, although there was still some minor and sporadic missing.

Now it's gone back to being really bad resulting in us having to be recovered by breakdown service.

Decided the fault must still be a condenser problem and am awaiting a new Nissan one. The other two were off the shelf at an auto place and not Nissan.

But would like to know if these things have a shelf life, or/and what is causing the condenser to fail?

Or perhaps someone has a hunch this is something entirely different.

The car is an 87 K10 Micra Colette.

Regards.

Raspberry

Dunno Frank. I'm waiting for the part to arrive and will then contact my mobile mechanic and put that to him. Thanks for that suggestion.

But if it was worn, wouldn't that cause a constant problem rather than this intermittent one that seems to resolve each time a new condenser is fitted?

Or are you suggesting this wear could be causing the condensers to fail?

Blimey! :eek:

Way out of my league and sounds like it could be costly.

New distributor? Or what other remedy?

Interestingly, when the problem first appeared the breakdown guy found the points had completely closed up.

Can't do any repairs myself (hence the name raspberry) so have to rely on a mobile mechanic.

So far other suggestions have been:-

Split diaphragm on the vaccuum.
Stcking needle in float chamber.
Wrong plugs fitted.

Last one brings to mind, when a son-in-law had a look he discovered both outer plugs were still new looking and the two inner ones were carboned up. This was after about a fortnight of them being fitted.

Mind you, this is the same son-in-law who smokes ganga and also suggested it could be a fault with the catalytic converter. fwn

Head gasket, sticky valve? Or the above
Nissans have #### pumps I fitted a walbro one on my sx after it kept randomly cuting out with no warning and never happened again

Back