Mini Marcos with a CG13DE questions!

J

Je5ter007

Well, I'd like to start by saying hello to all of you in the forums and secondly sorry to start with a list of questions :confused:

Right......... I am currently building a Mk IV Mini marcos and have decided to fit a CG13DE engine (far better than the A series bag of nails!!).

I have a fully independant Megasquirt ECU and Ford EDIS ignition system to run fuel and ignition timing, the questions I have are

1. Would a T25 turbo be suitable for this engine (obviously with the right custom manifold, injectors etc...) or would it be better to stick to NA (I'm only looking for 100 - 115 bhp due to power - weight)

2. Seeing as I want longer gearing, how difficult is it to fit a 1.6 gearbox, or is it even possible?? Also what kind of speed could I expect from this being that the car only weighs 200KG without the engine?.

Any other help or suggestions would be greatly recieved as you lot know more about this engine than me!!! :p

Cheers all!

Phil :slm:

the t25 is a good turbo the cg13 as it kicks in at higher revs, the t2 the smaller turbo will come onto boost earlier, so its upto you what you want. Most micra turbos are t25. Stock internals can handle upto 8psi.

As for the gearing the 1.6 will have a direct fit but your going to need custom driveshafts. As for the 1.3 it can be fitted with a n14 clutch kit and a performance clutch like a exedy centre plate. This is a cheap and effective way rather to go £££'s on transmission. The 1.3 box is pretty good but obviously the 1.6 has higher ratios and will pull out a better top end speed.

Cheers

Think I'll go with the 1.6 gearbox then as long as I can get the original drive shafts with it, I'd have to modify the 1.3 ones anyway at the hub end, already planned to lathe and balance the mini ones with the micra ones so may as well do that with the 1.6 ones. :grinning:

Also what kind of power increase would I get at 6psi?

Thanks for your help Type-R

Phil.

to be honest, you don't need to turbo it to acheive 100bhp, just use a janspeed manifold, competition one if possible, a good induction kit and you'll be nearly there (95bhp ish), then with the megasquirt, you should be able to get it over 100bhp with a good map. get some high lift cams and another re-map and you'll be arounf 110-120bhp.
if you get a cg10 flywheel from a >98 micra, then it still uses the 1.3 clutch ( so possibly the N14 clutch as type-r said) and it's 2kg's lighter, and the cg10 crank pully is about 800g lighter than the cg13 aswell.

Cheers all!

Just a quick note to say thanks for helping me out.

I promise I will keep the forum updated as the project comes on and I'll try and get some pics up!

I'm currently getting the shell ready for paint so once that is done I can start on the interesting stuff!

Cheers again,

Phil. :grinning:

go, naturaly aspirated..... scare the hell out of the competition with CG13DE Screaming japanese twin cam madness...

and you can tell them its still a 1275CC..lol

but as said, 110bhp to 120bhp from cams, manifold, induction, mappings etc.... but you can go further..... alot further..

good luck... i know a man called matt arround grimsby area who has a mini up on blocks at the mo with a CG13DE in it..... and hes looking for 150bhp.. and hes thinking of putting the micra 16V head on the Aseries block.... the same piston size. but some cetral cylinder problems to over come... but the cam chain is on the right side... and the oil galeries are in the right place too..

should be fun..

N/A would prob be quicker on a track. Turbo would be wild.

i didnt read the thread properly, NA would be better on a track with loads of bends etc, but on a long track with less bends then i would go for turbo setup.

also the cg13 isnt too hard to NA tune. If you using megasquirt you can use the 1.6 TB from a n14 sunny/almera this bolts straight on, and you can map it to get it to run ok, as i remember one of the sensors on the TB isnt compatible with stock loom n ecu, but you wnt have that problem.

Some people say the TB isnt a good mod, but from personal experience i found a noticable difference straight away. Some fast road cams, janspeed manifold, custom exhaust pipework the cg13 will be screaming its nuts off!!

stock injectors are fine upto around 150bhp, after that you can upgrade to p10 1.6 ones from a primera.

well i was browsing through ur site and i noticed the cg13 in the mini and couldn't help but tell you guys of a cg13 installed in our mini in trinidad and tobago!
post-7710-1223473468_thumb.jpg

we made it carburetted and adapted an electronic dizzy to overcome the rev limiter! the enginee now resides in a mini clubman owned by a friend in santa rosa, trinidad and tobago. i am currently doing another CG13DE in a mini and the threads of the last one and all of our work can be seen on the mini forum

post-7710-1222216072_thumb.jpg

post-7710-1222216098_thumb.jpg

post-7710-1222216821_thumb.jpg

post-7710-1222216623_thumb.jpg

i didnt read the thread properly, NA would be better on a track with loads of bends etc, but on a long track with less bends then i would go for turbo setup.

also the cg13 isnt too hard to NA tune. If you using megasquirt you can use the 1.6 TB from a n14 sunny/almera this bolts straight on, and you can map it to get it to run ok, as i remember one of the sensors on the TB isnt compatible with stock loom n ecu, but you wnt have that problem.

Some people say the TB isnt a good mod, but from personal experience i found a noticable difference straight away. Some fast road cams, janspeed manifold, custom exhaust pipework the cg13 will be screaming its nuts off!!

stock injectors are fine upto around 150bhp, after that you can upgrade to p10 1.6 ones from a primera.

Just to keep things accurate.......

Standard injectors are not fine up to 150bhp, they run dangerously lean in a CG13 with just a good exhaust system and 256deg cams in, you do NOT want an engine running 98% duty cycle at full rpm and barely making sensible AFR's. Simple calculations for injector sizing will highlight this. GA16DE injectors would be much better suited for a straight fit into the standard fuel rail, (if on a budget).

A good exhaust system, cams and a re worked ecu or standalone will put you closer to 105bhp using the standard inlet system. If you're putting it in an Mini Macros you can engineer a nice carb setup, as emissions are your friend and increase on that. Anything further and you'll have to think about some more radical engine work.

Either way, I've seen plenty of Mini Marcos' at Goodwood and a CG13 will make one of those go pretty well indeed. Good luck with the conversion :)

lol my uncle has a mini tuned vti vtec he used to take it up to crail alot but is now garaged, its fast once the speedo goes over 140 off the clock we never know what speed were doing but it has been said to do 175 pushing 290 bhp theres a video on youtube all see if i can find it

Back