Micra won't start, fuel issues?

Yesterday I was patching up a hole in the back of my sill so I jacked up the car in the back and got to work. Four hours later I was done so I put the car down and got behind the wheel, but the car refused to start. At first I thought the battery was flat but I realized that it was in fact turning over just fine. I eventually got it running by flooring the gas pedal while turning the key but it was really struggling to get going and it took a while. On my way home I was pondering the cause of this and figured I might have an issue with my fuel filter (which has probably never been changed) or perhaps my fuel pump, and that jacking up the car in an inclined position for four hours was part of the cause. I have had two or three episodes previously where I suddenly have seemed to have a power loss on first gear for a second or two , which could also be fuel related, but in general the car has never had issues starting and has been running flawlessly. After I got it running this time it also ran perfectly all the way home. After some googling I realized that it could be as simple as flooding, perhaps after starting and stopping when driving it into the garage. I changed the spark plugs two months ago and the car had plenty of fuel in the tank.

So, do any of you have any thoughts of experience that could be of help here? Is it likely that it was just a random flooding issue or should I be looking into my pump or filter?

Is your car a dizzy engined micra? My car had similar issues when the wax stat and maf went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dizzy refers to distributor, right? In that case, yes it's a dizzy engined Micra. Early stages of a maf-failing could also be a probable cause indeed.

I bought two second hand complete throttle bodies off eBay for next to nothing. I've still got a spare one. I know you are abroad and I don't know if it's worth it but if you arrange postage you can have it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back