Micra Wave Head Gasket

Hello,

I have an M reg Nissan Micra 'Wave'. It has run really well and only needed some repair done for the MOT. However the other day it broke down on the M25 and the RAC repair man, plus the garage I have taken it to reckon it's the head gasket on its way out.

However, the garage are clearly on something very potent, as they have attempted to quote £750 for repairing the car if it is indeed the head gasket! Obviously I am not prepared to pay over twice the car's value for a repair that, given the garage's reputation, may not last very long. What is a reasonable price for the job, assuming it is simply the head gasket having gone?

check how much an engine replacement job'll cost too cos spare engines r cheap n plentiful and the labour of swapping an engine maybe faster n cheaper

I have now noticed a small hole on the top of the expansion tank. Do I need to repair this and/or get a new expansion tank as I understand that pressure is an important part of testing for head gasket problems etc

I have now noticed a small hole on the top of the expansion tank. Do I need to repair this and/or get a new expansion tank as I understand that pressure is an important part of testing for head gasket problems etc

its not an expansion tank as such, more a reservoir, any excess coolant runs into it as the engine warms up, then it returns via a little valve in the cap, so any container would suffice (with or without a hole in :grinning: )

Back