Micra trouble starting on damp days

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
Hi there,

New to this forum and thought I'd join up. looks like a nice community.

Well i have a K11 94' Nissan Micra and love it. The only trouble i have with it is starting it up on some days. The engine will just keep turning, after leaving it for a days or so it will start up fine.

Now i have been told Micra's are notorious for damp starts and was wondering what you guys recommend for this.

Many thanks

CMF_2618 K11

» CMF Member
hello

I have had the same trouble on few occasions aswell. When this happens I start the ignition and when the engine isnt catching I plant my foot on the accelerater, it takes ages, burns the starter motor and uses a load of petrol, but the engine slowly beggins ticking with the starter motor untill it feels like it would catch, then i release the ignition and the revs build up blowing the unburnt fuel out the back, it takes about 2mins for the engine to build enough speed to stay alive. I know its not the best way, but if im stuck in a pickle thats what i have to do, I wouldnt advise it unless it is an emergency.

Attachments

• 10987.jpg
    10987.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Have a look in the owner's manual. In mine there's 2 pages dedicated to starting the damn thing.

I have issues starting up when its been driving and then parked it for more than 20 minutes but less than an hour. If i don't put accelerator to the floor it just won't start. Usually takes me 2 goes with the starter (3 second periods).

..Oh and yes, it dumps a crapload of black fuel soot when it does finally fire. heh

I figure there's a design fault within the intake runners. That's why I'm a bit hesidant to replace the throttlebody with a larger unit...

Anyway, Cheers!

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
If you get into that position and you think the engine is flooded you should turn off the ignition, pull out the fuel pump fuse, push the accel right down and crank the engine for 10 secs or so. Turn off the ignition and replace the fuse. Now it should start.

Micra are great at flooding, not heard of a wet start problem.

Be a good idea to replace your HT leads, if the problem doesnt go look at replacing the dizzy.

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
I've never had a problem, quickest starting motor i can recall. Just like a flick of the wrist and i'm away.
i hope this doesn't mean future troubles for "jamm'n"
Sorry you guys are having issues:-(

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

Well i did the fuel pump fuse dodge a couple of times before, worked once only. The last time it didn't start i floored the pedal and kept turning for at least 30 secs or so until the battery starting to die. Most of the time it starts up perfect. Its not the injection model so i dont think it will be too bad flooding.

I will see if i can change the HT leads and distributor cap. Do you think it may be spark plugs? just had a service though.

Anyone heard of 'damp start' spray? might give that a go or the WD40 trick. Just one question about that, is it safe to spray that stuff into the spark plug holes?

Cheers

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
If its k11 then its injection.

You can spray the wd40 anywhere you like.

Its worth taking the spark plugs out and inspecting them, perhaps there is a pool of water where they sit? Give them a good wipe and a little spray.

If the HT leads have not been changed in a few years then its worth doing anyways, same as the spark plugs.

Do a very detailed inpsection of the dizzy for hairline cracks and etc.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
Also check if the 'engine check' light stays flashing.
If it does (on a NATS car) this can mean that it's having problems.
My car does this very occasionally, it won't start, and just flashes the light, having to have the key turned back off and on (without engaging the starter motor) 50-100 times before it'll start working.

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
OK great. Well I'm pretty sure my micra is on a carburettor but i will take another closer look, bonus if it is injection!

I will give it another go cleaning it out etc and keep it posted here.

Thanks again.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi "neds",

I had exactly the same problem with my car. I replaced the ignition leads, distributor cap and spark plugs and never had the problem again after that.

I suspect that either the leads or the distributor cap had a crack in their insulation which was letting in moisture.

Good luck sorting out the problem. Yes, all K11 micra are fuel injected.

CMF_turbo1.3

» CMF Member
It will be the rotor arm..
check that first, and how big it is, compare it to a new one... then check the dizzycap...

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
OK great, still trying to get enough daylight to check this all out as at work most of the day. So what exactly is the rotor arm and what does it do? Is it in the distributor? are they expensive to replace.

Total noob here regarding cars, starting to get into vehicle mechanics though, really does interest me.

Where do you all get your parts from? breakers?

Cheers

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Where are you from?

I normally get my bits from the local auto factors place.

Is there a rotor arm in our dizzys? Thought it was all electric...?

Deffo replace HT leads before the dizzy, these should be done every 2 years anyways and are fairly cheap. Just stock nissan/bosch ones will do.

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
Well i am in the UK, Midlands. The HT leads look a little different to standard ones, these are like plug type things at the end of it. What am i looking for when ordering new ones? I will also need to get some tools to get teh spark plugs out, might be a good start to get some basic tools to work on the car.

Also can anyone recommend any online tutorials and help about starting up in vehicle mechanics? I have just purchased the Haynes manual so should be a good grounding.

Cheers

Attachments

• 11112.jpg
    11112.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 30

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
You just need to specify they are to fit a micra when ordering. Some tools would be a good start. The haynes is also deffo worth having.

Yom what do you mean? Normally when cars are hard to start when warm its a crack in the dizzy thats opened up and its breaking down electrically.

CMF_GartracS2

» CMF Member
Hi matey. There are several problems that can occur with the K11. The distributors do pack in as they fail when they get hot, no chance of fixing it you need a new one in this case. But you say that it has problems with damp start this is most certainly damp in side the cap. when the engine runs spray a mist of water around the dizzy cap if it cuts out theres your problem.
The second common fault , more so on U0 series micras is the rotting of the ECCS 10 amp fuse located in the engine room fusebox. To correct this on its easy. Turn the box over so you can access the wirign underneath. You will see a common Live (thickest wire) which supplies the whole fuse bank, headlights etc as well as ECCS fuse.
Cut the ECCS fuse thinnest wire and solder that to any 10 amp external fuse holder then solder the other end of the fuseholder into the thick wire (just patch it on its surface as its so thick) then you can now store your newly relocated ECCS fuse at the space inside the fusebox.
The third Concern is the NATS IMMU failing. This is something that requires your 4 digit Nats code to be available in the case of a new IMMU being required.
Lastly the ignition switches can go tits up occasionally, even new K12`s have lots of dodgy switches.
Hope this helps. Any more help you need email me I be happy to help.

CMF_1300supers

» CMF Member
very interesting this post cause same happens to me.. i've got a 94 micra. Now sorry about questios but my technical english isnt that good:

Dizzy?
Ignition leads?
HT?

can anyone explain me what are these? i'm sure i know what they are just if anyone exlain what they do and where are located.

thanx

CMF_neds

» CMF Member
Cheers GartracS2 for that bit, was going to look at that soon but has not happened for a while now.

Dizzy is the distributor...
Ignition leads are the leads that come out of the distributor and to to where the spark plugs are located. HT leads are the ignition leads. You will find all of that near the engine, just follow the ignition leads from the main body to the dizzy.

CMF_1300supers

» CMF Member
Thanx Neds :)

I finally understand... you know sometimes my english isnt enough but with your explanations...

well i've already changed the distributor ( dizzy ) cap, ignition leads are the tip of the black cables that go from dizzy to spark plugs?

because my micra dont start easily when worm...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
1300supers - i too have difficulty starting the car when warm.

I suspect this may be caused by a leaky fuel injector, or a dodgey fuel pressure regulator.

Most likely one of the seals heating up and allowing the pressurised fuel to squeeze past it (on modern EFI cars the whole fuel system is pressurised, even when the car isnt running).

I'm going to test this today.

I'm about to go for a nice little sunday afternoon drive and when I get home I'll pull the fuel pump fuse and let the engine run out fuel (de-pressurising the fuel lines). I'll wait 20 to 30 minutes and try and stary it up again (with the fuel pump fuse reinstalled).

If my theory is correct, the car should start quite easily and not cover the rear bumper in unburnt fuel.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Why do I suspect a leak somewhere? I recently started using Morey's Upper Cylinder Lubricant everytime i put a full tank of petrol in the car.

Since i have been using this stuff the car has blown less unburnt fuel out the exhaust pipe when starting and the car has also been much easier to start when warm, but it still usually takes 2 goes to get it to fire.

I may even swap injector rails (and obviously injectors) just to test my theory.

Attachments

• 11415.jpg
    11415.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 44

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Oh darn, basically the Morey's Upper Cylinder Lubricant works to clean the combustion chamber and nourish the valve stem seals and various other seals throughout the fuel and injector system.

Thats what it says on the bottle anyway. All i know is that it has definately done something to improve the fuel economy issues I had a few weeks ago following the breathing modifications I made to the car.

CMF_1300supers

» CMF Member
YOM: my micra for the moment its starting at the first try, but when warm its harder and the starter engine works for about 3/4secs... well lets hope we find out a cheap solution for this...

what year its your micra?model?how many kms?

mine its 94 / 1.3 / 142000km

PS-lets see if your theory its correct

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
You could try running some injector cleaner in your fuel, there might be some crud on one of the injectors preventing it closing perhaps?

Not sure what the best way to check would be, perhaps make it stop with fuel pressure then remove spark plugs and see where the most petrol is? Or remove the injectors one by one and see if there is any fuel there?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
lol mate it would be easier to remove them with fuel pressure!

I tried removing some SR20DE injectors from their standard rail and it was just impossible!

Ended up damaging one of them! :(

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well I conducted the experiment and all signs point to a problem with an injector.

Going to run some in-fuel injector cleaner today in a hope that clears it up. If not I'll forget about until I can afford the injectors to be cleaned professionally.

I'm going to get my hands on a Nissan consult connector soon (i hope) and I'll have a look at what everything is doing I suppose.

CMF_1300supers

» CMF Member
Watch out with injector cleaners.. that **** its to powerfull.. read carefully the meisure instructions cause remember our fuel deposit its 42litres!!!

Have already try that cleaner from STP, full tank and then went to the highway.. better fuel economy, but felt any other change...

maybe u get better luck!

Back