Micra Stating Issue - Going Insane!

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if you can help me as I'm going slightly crazy. I have a 98 Jap Imported K11. It used to start fine but got garaged for a couple of years. Now starting into restoration. When I try to start her she coughs and runs for about 10seconds then vibrates alot as the revs drop right down then backfires as she dies.

It had water in the fuel , which killed the pump. It's got a new pump, new pump assembly and new lines inside the pump, new fuel filter and new lines from the filter into the rail. I can get fuel into the rail and out of the return.

Have had all the injectors and rail out, injectors have sat in Injector Cleaner and all operate correctly when activated manually.

Have cleaned the points and rotor and get spark at the plugs which are new and correctly gapped.

The valves are opening and closing as they should with acceptable tolerance, and the chain has good tension.

When priming the pump with the ingnition all the primed fuel goes right out the return line , and with the ignition left on it will keep priming and returning. Not too sure the correct behaviour of the pressure reg in a K11

When putting her into service mode 2 I think it is. The old school diagnosis mode. I get a code 11 (1 slow , 1 fast flash) for the crank angle sensor circuit. I think I may have unplugged the distributor while battery was connected so it may be remembering this code. Have tried unplugging the power and reconnecting and the code stays around not sure if this is memory or an indication of a permeant fault.

As far as I know it has no NATS system due to being a JDM car, I get no NATS light nor does the key give any signal to the key cutter I went too see too get a spare cut. Nor can I find the NATS module. I could be wrong though.

I'm starting too loose the will too live. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a video of her trying to start to help explain the coughing.

Many thanks
Ben

does it rev better if you wet the air filter with fuel ben ?
Hey Frank, thanks for the suggestion have just tried that and she started for the first time in a long time. With the fuel in the air filter she will idle (a little rough) but idles and will rev. With the air filter removed she will start but won't idle and requires about 15% (2k revs approx) throttle just to stay alive.

Any thoughts as to the cause, helped me isolate it must be fuel side.

Many thx

sounds like fuel starvation ben, mine would idle even with the fuelpump disconnected (vacuum in the inlet mani sucked the fuel out of the injectors)

sounds like fuel starvation ben, mine would idle even with the fuelpump disconnected (vacuum in the inlet mani sucked the fuel out of the injectors)
Thanks Frank, all the rubber hoses crumble in your hands so I will replace the all the vacuum lines with new rubber and see if that helps. I'll keep you updated.

Many thanks

This micra had been sat for 4 years remember right,
Run well then this happened, take about 10 mins to started ect
Found the mitsubishi dizzy it had off a march wanted cleaning at first then later it burned the rotor arm and just started to fail all together

It ran like it wasn't getting enough fuel or such, would run abit better with rag partly covering the throttle body ,

Anyways replaced the dizzy with a used one been fairly good that still funny cause it's barely used/ran

So there's that
Injectors clean?,
There's a vacuum pipe at the back of the Mani that falls apart ,
Tried the MAF and such unplugged,

Does the car run better if there's spray been put into the thrttole body?,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Back