• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Micra - Mini

Decided to start a blog for this micra - mini transplant..

So, The plan is to repair the mini shell and put in the 1.3 engine i have from my daily micra inspiration.

The shell is more or less stripped, im waiting for a friend to collect the engine then i can get cracking at the front end. Back end is stripped so i guess i could start patching those bits up first.

here is the micra - Pretty much rust free, just a dented front wing.

DSCF5307.jpg

Its had the primera airbox mod, with baffles removed and no intake on the box - Its LOUD but i love it.
Nothing else as of yet, might cut the springs for a laugh but not sure yet :)

The mini
DSCF5294.jpg

Its meant to be a studio 2 but has very little original parts with it.
I'm going to repair it and leave it looking pretty ratty paying most attention to the engine.

Plans for the 1.3 engine include a 1.5 throttle body from a pulsar, sport clutch, custom exhaust manifold made from a k-series, a better intake manifold as the current shape is awful!

Any advice would be great :)

As you can see, im prepared for alot of panel replacement!
DSCF5206.jpg

a modded toyota inlet mani might clear the mini crossmember better niki ? it does,nt hang as low as the stock one eh

PA250114.JPG

and a saxo/106 4 branch exhaust mani might be easier to mod than the rover one ? :)

I originally planned to use a Toyota inlet but decided to go bike carbs instead.

Here's a pic of the cut off Toyota manifold resting in place (against carb manifold) and it will fit fine if I'd actually gone down that route

IMAG0557_zps2a670954.jpg

I also went k series exhaust manifold

IMAG0389.jpg

Good luck with the build

Cheers for the info guys, Can i ask what model that k series manifold was from? I might be getting the mini under shelter soon so will be able to spend more time on it

Looking for a 1.3 micra engine if any one has one knocking about? I dont understand the coilpack business so can anyone tell me what my car would have? its an inspiration, T reg if thats any help?

Cheers, Fountain of info you are proving to be! :)
Now.. if you could make me a no nats loom :p Currently having a search, i know someones done some instructions on it!

Looks like im going to need either a 1.0 no nats ECU, strip out the nats equipment and run at a power loss, OR keep searching for a way round this fuddle!

Is it easy to transfer though? Id love the extra security as *touch wood* the system has worked fine for me.. I just have an awful feeling that moving it over will be the start of trouble haha!

Tomorrow i will attempt to get the doors off the mini.. wish me luck - i dont think they have ever been removed!

Thank you, I will do that then! Got an un-molested loom coming to me for the SPI mini (a much neater system than the carb version) so will be on the lookout for a 1.0 pre nats loom and ECU :)

The PAS has failed on the micra today - not sure of the cause so will go over the basics when its less wet outside

the pre-nats ones are oblong (halfsize/type 5) niki, and the auto k11,s have a separate ecu for the g/box, and i listed the 20 or so wires you need to connect on that link :)

Right, a bit more movement on this..
Shell is now as follows :

nellydoorson.jpg

Doors are on, horrid paint job sprayed over and experimented with a black roof.. the underneath had some paint put on we had laying around haha, its patchwork!

Ordered the no nats ECU, butchered the carb mini loom and starting to splice it into the rear loom of an spi (it has a fuel pump as standard) so i am getting there..

Now need to find a no nats loom with the blue ecu socket.

You can see the donor shell just to the left of the shot, so far its been hacked up for some inner sill repairs and will soon be turned into a trailer :)

Ive been a busy bee, bought an engine and gearbox.. should be delivered on monday :)
Been let down buying a 1.3 pre nats ecu.. the company told me they sent it, then went back on themselves.. at least they refunded me :/
Frank do you still have the pinout for a 1.0 pre nats ecu? i saw you had it on another topic you posted on :)

sussed out the wires yet niki ? 4 shielded white sensor wires and their separate earths (shields and dedicated earths are both antiferance measures) ie, cas, lambda, tps and maf
4 injector earths, some dizzy wires, and fuelpump signal :)

Thank you ever so much, are the pinouts the same for a 1.0 and 1.3 engine?
This is mind bending but so much fun :D

Jack helped me finish off some welding required (The shell got sent away to a workshop for repairs)
We painted the floors and some other bits and bobs..

62344_10151780567427233_601553456_n.jpg

Metal is on order for the frame, other bits are on their way.. yeaah!!!

Ok, engine and g/box together thanks to Frank :)
Clutch and flywheel not in place yet as this is a mock up for the frame..

1476508_10151809939382233_639272172_n.jpg

Engine together

1510995_10151809939562233_1531993097_n.jpg

Stripped the heads on the phillips cam cover screws.. picked up some snazzy allen heads instead :)

1475967_10151809939477233_282562192_n.jpg

Bummer of the day, it doesnt look right. whats missing?! and i thought the speedo was cable not electric? looks like it has a plug out of it.. massive bummer if it is!

So all in all, a very frustrating day as i noticed the starter motor is missing.. other parts are missing and some parts have snapped on their way off..
Bluh. Anywho, we know how to build the subframe now so can start fabbing that up next weekend

You can swap them over no problem, though they are slightly difference sized, a bigger washer covers up the gap fine. Though take care remove the cable drive from the box at the ally can snap of quite easily..... :oops:

hopefully its not a facelift 1.0 diff in that box then niki, you may need the rear bracket too ? (the prefacelift 1.0 one is a different shape btw)

PC160223.JPG

There's also a small bracket that goes from the block to the gearbox missing although I don't think its vital, I binned the one on the front.

Phew! panic over then :) If its not required then we can make our own engine mount using the holes already there :)
Will pop to the scrappy tomorrow for a speedo drive, oh and the gear linkage if i can get it off :)

Frank the wiring loom i have infront of me has no matching colours to the diagram you sent :( am i reading it wrong? lol the only one ive been able to label was the engine coolant temp sensor.. Ive been following the guide by colours but none of the connectors have the colours they say they should have lol. For example alot of the connectors on the injectors are meant to have yellow wires.. but mine has white?

i,ve yet to see 2 k11,s with the same colour wires niki :) probably the only ones that will tally will be the 4 x white (shielded) sensor wires, and the black earths

bawwhh! even minis have the same colour wiring throughout each model lol.
Im decoding the ecu pinouts at the moment. only three wires match your pinout diag! barrh.. Once ive done it though i can trace the wires. Im finding cables are going into whats meant to be empty pinout holes.. so ive no idea on their purpose! . I might attempt to plug it all into the engine and just cut off what i dont need lol

you have to be careful with sensors and their separate earths niki, i would label each essential wire with a masking tape tag from that pinout diag, then check its colour at the other end of the loom (the 3 lambda wires, the 2 coolant sensor wires etc) then unpick the loom so that you can discard the 20 or so unwanted ones

I see what you're saying.. im just having difficulty with it as very little of the colours actually match the diag you sent over, so its making tracing stuff difficult.. Next step is chop off the protective housing and try to lay the loom out all spread apart

Back