• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My cg13de powered Mini

Hi guys,

I've been on this forum quite a bit over the last couple of weeks I'm converting my a series turbo powered mini to 1.3 16v. The plan was to build a more reliable and more cost affective solution to the a series.

My plan is

Allspeed cg13de conversion subframe
Custom driveshafts
Standard 1.3 bottom, with 998 Pistons
Fully worked 998 coilpack head, 3 angle seats, ported, cut back valves etc. Solid, none shim later buckets.
773 cam from Matt Humphries
K1100 motorbike throttle bodies, with 34mm throttles, custom ram pipes.
Custom upswept alloy runner welded to cutdown later spec inlet
197cc primera injectors
Fusion fabrication 4-1 exhaust manifold
I'll be using a aftermarket ecu, allowing sequential fuel and igntion on indivual a coil packs.
Standard 1.3 box
Updated clutch.

Hoping for 120-125bhp.

There's the car

Current engine.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 812
Here my 39k ccg13de, removed from a 97 3 door.

I actually bought a 1999 face lift 5 door, for the engine, box etc. It's only covered 40k, and is in mint condition. I insured and taxed it just to test the engine and box back in November, but I decided it was too good to break, so I've been driving it everyday since. I grown quite attached to it and now decided to sell my chipped 320D and keep it for a while until I find something else.

Here she is

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've been on this forum quite a bit over the last couple of weeks I'm converting my a series turbo powered mini to 1.3 16v. The plan was to build a more reliable and more cost affective solution to the a series.

My plan is

Allspeed cg13de conversion subframe
Custom driveshafts
Standard 1.3 bottom, with 998 Pistons
Fully worked 998 coilpack head, 3 angle seats, ported, cut back valves etc. Solid, none shim later buckets.
773 cam from Matt Humphries
K1100 motorbike throttle bodies, with 34mm throttles, custom ram pipes.
Custom upswept alloy runner welded to cutdown later spec inlet
197cc primera injectors
Fusion fabrication 4-1 exhaust manifold
I'll be using a aftermarket ecu, allowing sequential fuel and igntion on indivual a coil packs.
Standard 1.3 box
Updated clutch.

Hoping for 120-125bhp.

View attachment 46708
Is that not a cga3de1.4 engine. As they never did a 1300 coilpack. Just wondering as the 998 pistons don't fit the cga3de as it got a 72mm bore. Looks very nice. Interested to see the build.

Small update. Old engine is now sold, most parts have been ordered.

Decided to get the gearbox rebuilt with new bearing and seals.

Engine is currently at the machine shop, being honed and decked for the 998 Pistons. I'm having the whole assembled balance along with the new 1.4 Almera n15 clutch kit.

Just need to decide on a ecu. Let the old ECU go with the a series engine. Plan is either a mircosquirt with logic driver for Cops, DTA S40 with wasted spark coil pack or maybe a DTA S60 with full sequential.

Last edited:
Next job is to see if I can use the hydrolic clutch slave cylinder and arm of later almeria box.

Thoughts ?
I'm sure it all fits in the later coilpack gearbox. I did have a word with Mat Humphries about this a while ago so that the performance clutch he does didn't feel too heavy as it does with the cable release. Never got round to checking the pedal and master cylinder assembly though.

Thought I best update this....

I ran the Throttle bodies for a few hundred miles, but I eventually got tired of the consistent induction noise, especially on long motorway journey to work.

So decided to fit a specially designed long runner inlet manifold & plenum with a 48mm Rover Throttle body and TPS.

BF84E8DD-03A1-4207-9D4F-56896D57DFF7_zpsj3dfp07c.jpg

This setup felt equally as quick as the ITB's but a lot quieter and the engine felt very torquey.

I've just done some port work on the inlet and drop down to a shaftless 45mm billet throttle body and moved it closer to the plenum for better throttle response.

And after a full engine calibration it's making 116bhp & 101ft/lb on a calibrated dyno

6F6D645A-B7D9-4E45-BC87-676EFA140A0D_zpsnogjhac8.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that you found no perceptible gains from the ITBs compared to a well designed manifold and single throttle body... Do you have any figures from when it was running ITBs?

I've no doubt they would, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few bhp for a civilised drive. The car honestly feels quick enough for now.

Last edited:
Well after a year or so running the standard cga3, I've recently pickup up a low mileage cg13 auto engine. Plan is to Turbo it in standard form, using my old GT1752 for my turbo mini.

Thought I'd have a go at making my own manifolds, and put my Tig welder to work, that's just sat gathering dust.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Back