Micra Massive Let Me Down

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Journey begins at 7:00pm to go Cineworld Ashton.

Start engine, sets off in 1st, into 2nd then turns left. Car stalls or conks out whatever you wanna call it. Battery light comes on, oil light comes on, Basically lights that come on before turning key into the "start" posistion. Anyway i try starting, nothing. So i turned it all off. and started from scratch. Started fine this time. Set off and turned onto motorway. Bobbin along taking it easy cause of the problem. Gets off at ashton. Goes Piccies.

Comes out of pictures on way home. Goes down the dual carrageway and veers left to go towards M60 towards Oldham. Sat at lights. Set off in 1st, get into 2nd, start turning left and car conks out again. This time leaving me in the middle of the road with a volvo up my arse. So put hazard lights on and try start the car. Nothing. ...... reset everything, tried again nothing.. So dad gets out of car and pushes it to bus stop. I check spark plugs and oil and seem to be fine. Checked fuel pump for any crap in it. works fine.

anyway car will TURN over but wont start up.

now ive been trying for about 30mins and now battery is flat. I had to get towed home by my uncle with brakes that were hard cause no power to em, and very dim lights and very slow hazard lights now.

Its at home. Battery is dead cant even turn car over now. Its enough to keep alarm on anyway for now.

Any ideas???

Cheers

I was going to say that, but i dont think it would just conk out if he was driving and the battery was still charged... and it should be able to start without an alternator still...

no cos it will run off the charge in the battery untill it is flat..then you cannot bump start it.
it would stil run the lights ect fine.but not enough to start the car

battery is fine as far as i know. when it conked out stereo was still going at half volume. Volt gauge was at 13.6V when it conked out.

wont start from bump start.

if you charge the battery up i bet it will bump start(or with key duh!) .then run for and then it wont start again after that

I agree with RIK. Sounds like an alternator issue. All my nissan have gone dash-spastic when I fiddle with the alternator circuit.

Except the N15 series 2 where you could disconnect the "Gauge" fuse and drive around off the battery and the cars odometer would not pick up how far you've travelled. lol

EDIT:

Hm but then again if the engine had drained the battery to power the spark plugs there usually isnt enough juice left in it to crank the starter. 13.6v is sufficient to start the car and operate its electronics. Mabye check the connections to the dizzy, ECU and alternator.

check your HT leads, Dizzy Cap (give the contacts a good clean) - when did u change the plugs last?

I'd recommend sticking ur battery on a drain and trickle charge over night.

I've had problem where it turns over and battery is fine but no start, it seems to be the buildup of powder on my battery :D (but without a battery and ECU now I can't see if it is stil happening)

Sorry people but what is going on here?! How could it be an alternator IF the battery has enough power to turn over, barking totally up the wrong tree.

Start looking to see if your fuse box in the engine bay is corroded. Notibly check the fuel injection fuse for condition and all related others. I have had this a few times now.

That gives you a starting point.

Ed

if the battery is flat theres a problem with the alternator (including fuses/wires connecting)

Andy_S said:
battery is fine as far as i know. when it conked out stereo was still going at half volume. Volt gauge was at 13.6V when it conked out.

wont start from bump start.

Rik did you not read what he said then?

Andy_S said:
now ive been trying for about 30mins and now battery is flat. I had to get towed home by my uncle with brakes that were hard cause no power to em, and very dim lights and very slow hazard lights now.

Its at home. Battery is dead cant even turn car over now. Its enough to keep alarm on anyway for now.

Cheers
Obviously not.

yes it would do that if the alternator wasnt working..it would turn over slowly untill it was completly flat ...wouldnt it??

He was trying for half an hour and then as a result has flattened his battery. Its nothing to do with the alternator.

when it conked out stereo was still going at half volume. Volt gauge was at 13.6V when it conked out.

Neither would work if the battery had gone flat.

So its lost injection or ignitiion. My bets on the injection.

Ed

the only place they would go is the fuse or fuse holder..surley he checked those before he checked the fuel pump for dirt.

Not necessarily, when your at the side of the road you dont really think of everything, you just want off the road.

Do as Ed says, sounds like you have lost fuel or ingnition, I bet its something stupid! nine times out of ten it is..

Daz

greenflag came out. checked everything still no joy. Have to phone em to tow me tomorrow to a garage. this is gonna cost me.

He thinks its electrical so time to disconnect all my addons haha which have worked fine since i installed em last year. Charging battery now anyway.

Ive tried everything youve all said and still no joy.
:(

ok i checked spark HT Leads to see if i was getting a spark. Now if i remember correctly you should see a spark jump from the lead to rocker cover if you put it to it. Now i dont. is my dizzy knackered??

Andy_S said:

all in your mouth?

take the spark plugs out and attach to the leads and rest the plug either on the rocker on exhaust manifold and anywhere on the engine in fact, then try. you will be able to see better if there is a spark! if not, new dizzy time.

i will. I was told to do what you said but it was too dark by then and i cant work on a street in the dark at 11pm haha.

you will still hear the spark ... 'clicking'..

Somtimes the spark jumps from plug casing to block and is hard to see during the day

wilsonian said:
I'm sure i saw u under piccadilly train station the other week in a little tube top....

nah but i was there last sat haha! but in the Car.

Found the problem. The blue wire on dizzy i had cut into for the Rev counter. Anyway im only getting 5-8V there and there is no spark coming from dizzy.

The dizzy heats up when doing nothing so its gotta be a faulty dizzy. Time for a new one.

Are they dear or should i just put 1.3 in now?

Alienfish360 said:
you're an electrician and damaged a conductor adding a rev counter lolol :)

no the rev counter was fine when installed. I think it just went after a bit.

yes it did. To be honest id rather fit the 1.3 than mess about taking my dizzy off both cars and putting the working on on my 1.0 then when kristian comes to do the 1.3 conversion gotta take it back off and put back on the 1.3

its like 2 bolts and 5 mins to swap the dizzy over..and you need a car to run dont you?

whens kristian doing your engine swap?

hi ppl, just got home after the same thing just happened to me, 1am!!!!!! i was flooring it round a minor bend with a small hump you cant even realize while driving slowly and all of a sudden the car cut out. got it towed home by a mate, i brought the clutch up while towing and the engine seems to start, press the gas makes a deep sound like when you floor it in a high gear at low speed but doesnt move in the slightest and cuts out everytime i stop. no reading from the rev counter either. ive also gota super s rev counter in a 1.0 micra, did the dizzy thing. i aint got da slightest clue how to change a dizzy, should i go down to the scrap yard tommorow and grab one out of a car? how hard is it to fit? or should i leave it to the profesionals? thanks

Kristian changed dizzy and 1litre works. Hes a star he is!

1.3 is going in tomorrow courtesy if Kristian again :)

Back