• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Micra k12 speaker door wattage

I’m looking to upgrade the speakers in the door. I have already bought 200W replacement 6.5 inches but I was wondering if the wattage is too high?

I’ve never dealt with speakers before

Speaker wattage is pretty much just marketing, and a measure of the maximum they can handle. If you're connecting them directly to the head unit, it doesn't matter. What is more important is the impedance (ohms) especially if you have a stock head unit but less so if it's aftermarket.

Speaker wattage is pretty much just marketing, and a measure of the maximum they can handle. If you're connecting them directly to the head unit, it doesn't matter. What is more important is the impedance (ohms) especially if you have a stock head unit but less so if it's aftermarket.
When u say stock head unit are u talking about the radio itself? I changed it out like 1.5 years ago for a double din touchscreen one. Also from memory isnt the higher the impedance the more resistance to the AC wave?

When u say stock head unit are u talking about the radio itself? I changed it out like 1.5 years ago for a double din touchscreen one. Also from memory isnt the higher the impedance the more resistance to the AC wave?
Hi I am an electronics engineer,. And you can fit 10,000 watt speakers if you like. Really. It's on what there rated to take. So your 200w ones will be great with your head unit,. Your touch screen,. Which at a guess only whaks about fifty or so watts ? The impedance is fine. Doesn't matter at all as you rarely get them less than 4 ohm's. And if you used 8 ohm ones it only means you lose some output but is quite safe. I guess you bought car speakers which are almost always 4 ohm's. They do this as the supply voltage is so low. 13.8 from your alternator, and it means not inverting it upwards , as 8 ohm would need higher voltage to push the same current or watts . Through ,. It don't matter mate. Carry on. But what is more important than anything is the phasing. So they work together and NOT cancel each other out. The wiring connectors don't matter which way. As long as they are both the same , and the same as the rears,. Have fun. .

Back