Micra k12 2006 steering wheel issue

Hi,

I’ve got a weird issue where my steering wheel has a fair amount of play in it and being able to tilt it up and down (I’m not talking about the height adjuster)

I’ve checked the steering shaft and it seems secure doesn’t move and I’ve narrowed it down to very likely the top bolt behind the air bag.

However I have one major issue and that is someone before me has stripped the torx screws for the airbag and I’m unsure what to do next.

Has anyone else had this issue before?

find the next size up of torque bit and tap in to the screw with a hammer then undo (carefully).
if that fails it's on to the next least destructive, try the same with a hex key.
after that it's cutting a slot across the screw to undo it with a big ass screwdriver
then it's time to break out the drill. buy yourself a left hand drill bit to drill off the head, often it will undo as you are trying.

wobble on steer wheel connector is bit surprising, but it's worth investigation.

find the next size up of torque bit and tap in to the screw with a hammer then undo (carefully).
if that fails it's on to the next least destructive, try the same with a hex key.
after that it's cutting a slot across the screw to undo it with a big ass screwdriver
then it's time to break out the drill. buy yourself a left hand drill bit to drill off the head, often it will undo as you are trying.

wobble on steer wheel connector is bit surprising, but it's worth investigation.
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is weird I think I might have bent something as I was using it for stability when putting in led strips because why not hahah.

I booked for the garage to look at it tomorrow and I’m just hoping for the best

Hi,

Just thought I would update you. Garage said they wont do anything about it because of the airbag (which I thought was quite odd tbh) so I took it upon myself to do it.

I tried ur less destructive methods but I had no luck so ended up getting the drill out. After 1hour of pissing about and almost giving up multiple times I managed to finally get it out with a 4.5 flathead that was jammed into the hole I made with a left handed drill bit (my drill was cheap so everytime it caught it just stopped spinning), undid the other side and finally got to the main bolt and yes it was loose. There was no thread lock on it so I tightened it as much as I could and left it.

I think the cause of this is back in 2013 Nissan recalled Micra K12's that were built in 2nd December 2002 - 12th May 2006 due to that same bolt not being torqued down properly and eventually coming loose. Now what I think happened was because my car was registered 25th May 2006 (but it was probably manufactured well before 12th May) that my car never got recalled and had this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 46
Glad you got it sorted. Sorry the garage was a bit crap.
Yeah, I explained to the at the start that I was 90% sure it was a loose top nut behind the airbag and all it took was getting those screws out said yeah it’ll be fine. The other worst part is he assumed there is thread lock on it (which there wasn’t) so definitely not going back there again

Back