K12 choke issue?

Hello,

Ill give you all a quick background before I explain my problem. I own a Micra K12, 2004 (04 plate), manual 1.4 SE. It has 63000 miles on the clock and has been regularly serviced and well looked after.

I have been experiencing a strange issue recently. As you will know, when the car is started from cold the blue temperature light comes on. This goes off after about 4-5 minutes of driving.

However, when stopping at traffic lights or a junction very soon after the blue light goes off, the engine does not idle very well. The RPM's drop down to about 500, then jump back to about 1000 before settling ( I assume that is some sort of anti stall feature?). Occasionally the engine will stall.

However, this is the only time the engine does this. Other than this it runs perfectly and never misses a beat. It starts well regardless of weather, never gets hot in traffic, the MPG's are good (about 50-52) etc.

In my mind, I would put this down as some sort of choke issue? It seems very weird that it only does that soon after the blue light goes off, and no other time. Therefore is it likely to be a temperature sensor problem? I understand that there are 2 temp sensors on the K12, one which controls the temperature light on the dash and the other which controls the engine itself?

I would really appreciate some advice on this issue, as I don't know where to go with it. I don't want to replace the temp sensor if I am barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks in advance.

Dean

I was suggested by someone to check the butterfly on the throttle body. I did that today, but it was very clean, and certainly did require cleaning.

I read about the re-soldering that could be done to the throttle body of the K11 to resolve poor idle/ stalling issues. Does anyone know if this was a problem on the K12?

If not, does anyone have any idea what may be causing this strange and persistent problem?

Regards,

Dean

I have heard about the throttle body problems being carried over from the K11 to the K12. I just read the 'Honest john micra k12 review' and in the 'what's bad' section it says a few things about it and some tips of repairs and where to look .

deanyb

did you sort your problem mines doing exactly the same if youre at low revs when the blue light goes of it almost stops and revs go up and down mines a 1.2 k12 done 192000 miles but runs like a dream other than this always starts fine

Hi all,
We just had our 1.4SX fixed, all sort of suggestions , timing chain etc, but it turned out to be a faulty?broken variable valve timing solenoid motor on top of the timing chain cover, Had it replaced yesterday , took 15minutes, thanks to Nissan from Grimbsy who supplied the original part at half price including postage. Just need to have the self learning function on the engine management initiated tonight and all is well. Does not feel like the same car, goes like stink now. Other problems to look at would have been throttle position, fuel filter blocked, fuel pressure and throttle body electronics, in that order, but will wait with that now.

Back