Micra K11 Distributor

CMF_TRAC

» CMF Member
I recently purchased a Micra K11 16v Automatic transmission and has only 20 000km on the clock. It worked fine for about 5 months until one fine day I parked it infront of my house, and would not start when I needed to leave. I took it to my mechanic and diagnosed a spark problem which turned out to be the distributor. We fitted in a second-hand one which he had and it worked fine for only 2 days. We bought another secondhand one which was displayed as low milage off a japanese import, and it worked fine for about 3 weeks. It has now stopped once more and my mechanic is claiming that we should get a new one not secondhand.

I do not have a problem with spending about £200 on a new one, but am suspecting that it will still blow off after a few miles. I am suspecting there is something blowing it up, but am not technical enough to suggest any.

Need help urgently
David

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
There are at least three different brands of distributor in Japanese assembled K11.
The Mitsubishi ones have the highest death rate as far as I'm aware.
The Hitachi ones have better longevity in my experience.

CMF_TRAC

» CMF Member
Will surely check it out and post it. I know for sure that the original one fitted was a Lucas, and Made in UK. I know for sure that the latest one fitted is Made in Japan.

I would also like to know, if there are other faults that might be damaging the distributor like faulty alternator, would these show on the ECU log?? or would you have to check them out individually? And which items could be damaging it??

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Built in coil failing / power transistor.
Just normal use & these things being designed on the edge.

After how many kms did the Lucas distributor fail?

Check for Mitsubishi or Hitachi on the Jap one.

CMF_TRAC

» CMF Member
Malta is a small island in the Mediterranean, about 50miles by 5 (121 square miles). So the journeys here are short, and start stop. it has 20 000 miles on the clock on a 5 year period. This is when the original one fialed.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
there might be another problem apart from the distributor, maybe some1 with the workshop manual can help

im only saying this for the fact that you've changed 3 dizzys in the last say 1000ks to no avail,

do the micras have a error flash code??

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"20,000 miles (32,000km) is premature.

In reality most K11 are city cars & get driven short distances, start/stop.
Lol haven't I blown that out of proportion.. Toured 4 states of australia and one territory with mine. :p

lam.666 WROTE:
do the micras have a error flash code??
Not aussie ones. However it seems most other markets recieved a check enigne lamp which is hooked up!

CMF_TRAC

» CMF Member
it does have an error flash code, and my garage read it with his computer as faulty ignition signal.
You understood what I meant about Malta - driving is start/stop city type, and local mechanics say that that wears out the engine parts faster.
My mechanic has now fitted an external coil somehow and my Micra is running fine once more. Thanks for all your help

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Can you take a picture of the external coil setup?

There are some very similar SR20DE/GA16 distributors with external coils. The engagement with the cam is different and/or the length or disameter where it fits into the head/rockercover.

I wouldn't think short run driving would particularly contribute to the coil failing so soon.

Back