MICRA 1.00 E 2003 Fitting new cam position sensor (57 year old NOVICE)

I have only just descovered this wonderful forum so please be patient with me.

My daughter has just passed her test and after searching around for something she could afford we finished up with a very clean one owner MICRA 1.00 E. REG 2003

It started first time and we took it for a short run and it ran along nicely.
The following day it wouldn't start, it turned over ok and tried to start, eventually it started but very fluttery and eventually burst into life.

When it does start it ticks over very nicely and quiet too, no rattling knocking etc and runs fine.
I did notice that the engine management light does not come on at all so maybe someone knew something I didn't and disconnected it.

I have looked on the internet and it appears to be an inherant fault with this model and it frightens me to death that people are talking about cam sensor, crank sensor, lambda sensor cost's ranging from £50 to £1000 for a new timing chain. I just dont have that sort of money so I am going to start with the cam sensor and would just ask for a little advise on how easy it is to fit. I am not a complete moron but if I can't do it myself then I will have to pay someone to do it for me.
It's such a shame because it is in really nice condition both inside and out:(

I very much appreciate the people on this forum who are prepared to help out.
Thank you fingers crossed

Thank you for replying so fast.
My other daughters fiance has borrowed a laptop type thing from a mechanic, whenhe connect it it say's cam sensor..

Back