Camshaft Position Sensor

So, my GFs delightful little Micra has had us round the houses. Honestly, it really ought not have. Here's the deal.

CEL would come on and display fault code showing that the Camshaft Position Sensor had an error ie failing.
Used my OBD reader to cehck code and deleted it just to get shot of the CEL.

Eventually took to a local garage. Now, prior to this I did a ton of research into symptoms, causes etc...and the main culprit tended to show as a stretched timing chain.
Now, there was and is no rattle. No smoke, no misfiring. What we did notice was rubbish fuel consumption and poor acceleration and lumpy tick over.

The local garage said all they needed to do was replace oil and filter and remove the VVT or Vanos unit to clean and reinstall. Reset ECU with OBD and boom.
Drove for 10 miles and CEL back on.
Back to the garage a week later. Oh, its possible its the VVT solenoid that's knackered or could be the camchain which is a 800£ job.
They quoted 160 for the new solenoid plus labour totalling 300£. I was like, nah, has to be another way and they're still not sure that'll solve it. We would be into this car for over a grand in no time.
So, called Glyn Hopkin Nissan and bought a genuine solenoid for... 134£ not the 160 the local garage wanted. Fitted it myself. Still no joy. Bought a Crank position sensor from Nissan again, genuine part at around 100£ and still nope. Bought a genuine Camshaft pos sensor from Nissan and...boom. success.
So, the garage had no clue what it was despite the OBD diagnosis being Camshaft position sensor. The whole thing could have been sorted for around 100 quid but in total cost us approaching 500. That didnt of course factor in a potential camchain replacement.

So, do do do replace the part thats showing at fault first. With genuine stuff. I did buy a camshaft position sensor from a site like Autodoc or other online seller and their stuff is garbage. False economy and dont waste your £££.

So, watch this space. Hope this little Micra is now finally running ok.

Well, maybe if the "professional" garage had just looked at the fault code and maybe used that as a starting point then I would not be 500£ down.
But also, importantly, dont fear the worst re camchain stretching unless you can hear a distinct rattle.
It might just be something as simple as a faulty sensor of which Nissan's are renowned for.

As these little gems are getting on in years, small garages are there to make as much profit as they can from unsuspecting clients, as sixxgunner80 has found out so be very careful before commiting to shelling out lots of ££££££s, and check out the forum first!:unsure:

Back