Metalic rattle sounds

Hello,

Since a while we started hearing these metallic noises seemingly coming from or around the front wheels, could also be the engine.
We can hear this when the car is stationary or moving (with the windows open, if the windows are closed it's not audible).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I won't be able to take it to a service very soon.

K12 2003, 1.4 SVE

Later edit: it was the exhaust heat shield, under the engine. It has rusted and makes that nasty noise. I "fixed" it with a hose pipe clamp, doesn't vibrate any more. HTH.

Last edited:
In case someone happens to be in a similar situation, that metallic oversound is caused by the exhaust pipe (as it exits the engine), I was told the bits keeping it tight have become loose and as it gets hot and dilates, the noise becomes audible; it is not obvious when the engine is cold.
The fix should be trivial it would appear.

Tried and tested technique for getting rid of funny sounds in all the vehicles I have ever owned.
I turn the stereo up.
Then when something finally breaks it makes the troubleshooting very simple.

I have a similar-ish problem with a rattle that occurs when the car idles. This is probably because idling is when the engine is moving with the largest amplitude and is shaking around the most as the sound disappears when you rev the engine or start driving. Anyone had a similar issue? I feel certain it might be the exhaust manifold, and it only happens some of the time which is odd

Had a rattling noise from my k11, one of the metal clips holding the exhaust heat shield on had rusted through one side and was rattling about, removed this and problem gone.

going to remove the heat shield completely over the weekend as the noise is starting to come back

For the K12 its three bolts that hold the heat-shield on (forgot to say I meant the heat shield and not the exhaust manifold). Then again one of the bolts for the shield is missing ... but it doesnt sound like it would be the heat shield. Its a kind of squeaking rattle

I had a misaligned starter that was just slightly touching the ring gear on the flywheel. It was more of a pinging sound, but it took me a very long time to find.

Had a rattle from mine from same area,if you run engine get down in floor in front the car and with a towel or thick gloves,grab the exhaust after the cat,pull the heat shield that wraps around it down so its firm against the pipe,and i expect the rattle will stop. If its that,nothing needs mending,is pretty much cosmetic,and some ppl even remove it with no ill effect.

I have an induction kit that runs right in front of the heatshield .... :eek: should probably consider taking the heatshield off and polishing it at some point. Shiny surfaces have a lower emisivity coefficient and all that

Back