Matching head unit to speakers

JVC Power Output: 45W x 4

what is the best max power / rms rating speakers to use with this.

I have some old pioneers in the front (forget the spec) and the original factory speakers in the back.

The pioneers are better than the original fronts, but I'd like something better front and rear - warm - rather than bright and clinical.

(I'm not into using a sub)

Whatever sounds best to your ears. Going to halfords and having a listen can't hurt. You don't have to buy from there.

Some JBL's I've heard have been pretty warm and tasty, but we all know what JBL stands for right?

Erm, well, car audio seems to contradict itself from HiFi, even though it's basically the same thing, so I'm not sure, but...

Try to match the impedance (resistance), and make sure the amp or head unit can power the speakers at their RMS rating.

Basically, matching all the numbers up will get you the best sound, but it's very hard to do nowadays, even with stuff from the same manufacturer.

search for speakers with less RMS and with high sensitivity (dB)....headunits have only about 15-20watts RMS....in real time...45/50/60watts that you can find on headunits are not real....best buy...i dont know how are things on your market...but some entry level of infinity, JBL, Hertz, helix speakers will do the job well :)
i had hertz dsk model (entry model) in my micra, & they performedd well on hu...after that i have connected them on external amplifier & after that they became quite loud....:)

Vibe are very good for the money, if you want qauilty and good sound!

Fli is also as good, becuase they are made by vibe audio too :D

Curtis, sorry mate but Fli are not made by Vibe. They are just distributed by the same people as Vibe.

I got some cheapo Pioneer ones that don't sound too shabby. The only thing that's holding them back is the fact the door cards and glovebox rattle whenever you turn em up.

Fitting them was a right pig though. Nearly cut my arm off.

Thanks for the info
So far most speakers I'm coming across have specs way in excess of the head unit.

Something is seriously bothering me about modern head units however!

When I bought the M11 secondhand it had the factory radio/cassette which I thought sounded pants. Buying the car had cleaned me out So I swapped it for an old but very good Pioneer radio/cassette I had bought in the mid 90's (however it was unused since 2001 because my previous car had a decent factory system)

This Pioneer sounded way way better than the blaupunkt - no camparison - but now sadly it's motor is on the blink - can't get spares.

I've tried out a couple of supposedly decent head units from jvc and Alpine [around the £200 mark] and they leave me cold - there's just not the same inherent Umph!!! and rounded depth to the sound as the old Pioneer had!

What's the score on this do you reckon?

I don't want to buy new speakers to find I still think the sound is pants.
I know this might be straying into what is often termed subjective listening areas but I know what I like and it's a warm full sound - these units and a lot of other recent sound equipment sound highly detailed at the expense of the overall unity and fullness of the sound.

your car speakers are probably stock, paper cone, very less power etc. & they matched stock headunit perfectly...it is like that in every car...after changing hu on stock speakers it is not the same, because new hu has a lttle bit more of power blablabla....my advice search for speakers with paper cone, around 50watts (rms) and high sensitivity (as i sad before) :)
caracter of soundis changing on every headunit..it is true....every amplifier has a different sound...welcome to the world of car audio :) thats why people who competes in EMMA racing are changing they systems very often...looking for better sound.....

My Pioneers in the front aren't paper - they feel a bit rubbery/plasticky - and whilst they are admittedly old now and due for replacement they have happily been in 4 cars and haven't been hammered. But I take the point that I'll probably need different speakers to get the best out of a change of head unit.

50watts (rms) and high sensitivity (as i sad before) :)

O'k - will do! ;)

ps. Went into Halfords for a listen but their setup sounded atrocious with any speaker combination - impossible to decide anything - I think the guys in their have got it set up to make everything sound too bassy - it was the same when switching to classical music. They said they couldn't change it and the demo head unit was very limited in controls.
Bunch of idiots!

Try a real Car Audio shop.
Most Halfords set ups are rubbish unless there's been someone who know's what they are doing.

I'd highly recommend visiting www.talkaudio.co.uk for info / ideas.
Plus is may link you to a decent local shop.

Thanks for the link Hugh, I'll take a look.

My proper local shops don't have many alternatives already set up.

I went back to halfords again and maybe I had an effect on them because I found the setup had changed to a more balanced sound today.
still not very good but at least the distinctions between speakers were more apparent.

Out of their demos I liked the Infinity's best for the rear shelf
and Pioneers for the front.

I read somewhere else that Infinity's and JBL's are fairly similar both made by Harman but the rear Jbl's in Halford's sounded a bit tinny compared to the Infinity's

Think what I'll do is decide upon and change the rear speakers first and then reassess my sound. Because those standard micra rear speakers provide a dull response with my new head unit {bit like a worn out trampoline} whilst my pioneers in the front aren't that bad.

Back