manifold polish or custom?

bombz4

Ex. Club Member
quite self explanitary really custom manifolds are expensive and to be honest i dont have a clue about, what id want or what theyd give me, all i understand is the airflow diff. and how much of a difference would a custom manifold give compared to a polish on the standard? (ps sorry about all the technical questions recently)

im up for a bit of this as me and mat(hopefully) are gonna be doin the same to mine as he did to urs just with a different carb

ditto, im thinking exhaust first though due to mat putting the webber on my car before i had it :laugh: , would be a shame and a slight waste changing that first. Also with my limited funds to be considerd il have to do everything one step at a time(not to mention possibility of loosing my license) I think that the intake manifold will be less restrictive on the engine than the exhaust although that is just my rekoning. hopefully making the exhaust manifold the more power gaining mod.

well....i have 3 very harsh point imo for unloading on a zigzaged area by a zebra crossing when i first started driving! i honestly thot that it was like double yellows loading only. but o well...
then the other day after a cruise (my first one fast car were there so thot id give it a go, im not sum rude boy with a burberry cap honestly!) while driving in a convoy i stupidly got flashed along with another 3 cars runing a red. (soooo stupid) thankfully it turns out i wasnt driving kinda thing someone else was. really sorry in advance if i shouldnt say that on here! but v.close

and then i think ive been caught by a head on mobile van i didnt realise i was approaching it untill i was about 20m away and my speed waz 34mph (gps as i have low profile tyres and my speedo is out) so i think ive been caught but its sooooo boarder line!!!! if i was doing 40 i woodnt mind as much but so close it really annoyed me! and first two years its 6 points although if i take it to court i should have 6pts but no ban as they are minor offences I HOPE!

There is no harm in port matching the manifolds, I wouldn't have thought that there is much to gain from porting any other part of the exhaust manifold as it is quite well cast, you really need to be getting a tubular manifold.
As for the inlet manifold, again I would port match it but you don't want to take it out any larger than the inlet port or the step will hinder flow. The inlet manifold is quite rough cast with casting marks running along the length of it, I would definately grind as much of these away as possible. I think the biggest problem with the inlet manifold is the primary runner just below the carb, but unfortunately this is very awkward to get at. Get the exhaust smooth but leave the inlet manifold with a 'matt' finish.

ive been told that the k10 standard ones are nigh on impossible to smooth hence y im seeing about getting a custom inlet made (for a different carb too )

That's probably the best option Paul, it would be possible to have it extrude honed but that is quite expensive. I'm probably going to cut my manifold along the centre length ways, remove all the waterways, enlarge the runners as much as possible and then weld it back up. this isn't ideal, especially as there will be some roughness from where I join it back up, but I think the design of the manifold isn't too bad, it just has small runners, I also think the standard carb is best for general road use.

deffinatly go for a custom 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, it brings new life to your old motor, you will need to exhaust wrap it to keep the temperatures down under the bonnet tho,

ive wrapped mine the other weekend and now i can hold a manifold branch for 5-10 seconds before i have to let go, there was no chance i would even try to touch it when it wasnt wrapped,

the stuff i got was from here http://www.thermallogic.co.uk/

i only got one roll and a pack of 20 ss cable ties and it was enough to do all the manifold all the way the where the gearbox mount is, i can highly recommend buying from there as its excellent wrapping unlike some of the stuff on ebay

a few people do have custom manifolds on here, where did you get them made up? i know one contact who tells me he cant do them cheap and it would take him almost a week, so he now only does them with a full exhaust system which i cant afford! all at once anyways!:blush: what prices am i looking at for custom manifolds??o_O

i brought mine off mark, but its the full system, micra mans car has one aswell which kev had made ages ago, there the only people i know that have them

but you get what you pay for, so be carefull of people offering to make them dirt dirt cheap, dont get me wrong im not saying dont buy it from them just make sure you check it over etc before you pay them for it and get some kind of warranty aswell if you can

my exhaust manifold
29-Picture%20344.jpg

and my inlet manifold
11-DSC00015.JPG

mate just to let u know if u lose ur licence under new drivers act u dont have a ban it gets revoked by dvla so all u do is reapply for ur licence and redo ur test which is what i have had to do its a pain and cost alot but if u take it to court they will just laugh at u and say that will teach u happened to my mate so i didnt bother i just excepted it

fox1983 said:
mate just to let u know if u lose ur licence under new drivers act u dont have a ban it gets revoked by dvla so all u do is reapply for ur licence and redo ur test which is what i have had to do its a pain and cost alot but if u take it to court they will just laugh at u and say that will teach u happened to my mate so i didnt bother i just excepted it

I second that. Same thing happend with me. Dont go to court. Not only will the courts laugh they will charge you for the time.
Got mine back in 3weeks or so, not too bad.

still havent had the speeding one through!! so think im in the clear! wow! 400£! was that for the full exhaust system?

Back