MAFs n stuff

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
Ok so looking into remote MAF for future upgrade of TB. Seen how frank does his :D thought i may be able to come up with a different option. I did try to find a maf from another manufacturer that would fit the k11 connection, no luck there, seems all modern mafs have more than the three pins of the k11. also im not realy shure on how they would work anyway, i mean the ga16 maff has the same connection, but it must read values different, thus confusing the cg ecu.

that in mind, i dug out an old CG TB, headbutted the maf out of it to see if i could retro fit it into a hausing of a different inline remote jobbie from something else.

my reasoning is this, using a chopped cgtb means the air would need to be squeezed through the maf as the hole in the cgtb gets smaller as it goes through. Now im no engineer, and not realy knowing if thats a good thing or not i just assume that it would be better if the air flowing through the maf flows through a hole the same diameter as the throttle body? please feel free to correct me if im wrong, after all the outcome can only help people :D

anyway, i dug through a box of mafs, pulled a few out i think may do the job, this is the first one i tried, off a 2002 transit.

its 55mm internal, as close as i could find to an SR20 tb of 60mm for now, the cg maff fits in it, but would need a housing made around it. im still working on it but thought i would share this with others for now for any input :D

20120924_153615_zps9c8dc6f6.jpg

20120924_153627_zps5b9d224c.jpg

:D
the area AROUND the maf is near 60mm tho hoop (and the area around the butterfly 45mm) so i,m assuming the maf scale is the same with or without the butterfly area (ie, the airflow stays at the same rate around the maf, and the airflow only changes through the bigger throttleplate)

P9240108.JPG

hmmm, stripped down the CG TB completely to see what the score was, it may actually be easier to do it Franks way haha, aslong as you dont mind a few mins on the hacksaw.

20120924_161235_zps6bbedd5b.jpg

the TB gets instantly narrower after the maf, so you would have to cut it along this line, then do some fancy saw work around the housing that contains the maf electrogubbins to keep that intact. the only problem i can see then is having nowhere to clamp a tube upto the back cut end.

then again maby you could just weld it ontop of an SR20 tb......

haha posted the same time then Frank. i was just concerned about the sudden drop in diameter after the maf going onto what would be a 60mm tb do you think that restriction would make much of a difference

haha posted the same time then Frank. i was just concerned about the sudden drop in diameter after the maf going onto what would be a 60mm tb do you think that restriction would make much of a difference
heh :) i think you will get the same readings personally mate, because it tapers down "after" the maf eh

heyhey used the search and came up dry. used google and came up trumps, Machi San has done the cgmaf onto sr20 tb, google wins :D

:eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek: errmmmmm yeaaah... i looked on here for information and wow...im just confused with all these numbers and letters.... i understand most of it just not the bit about the butterflies, i dont get what they are or what they do and i cant see them in any photos

Ok so it looks like that TB on the almera tino 2001 SR20 engine is a 60mm version of the QG15/18 one. so i nabbed a QG one off the shelf to see if i could make the CG idle valve fit the QG. The QG one is a plunger type, work by sticking its rubber covered end into and out of a hole, its also shimmed to make it exact, and im assuming make it ajustable if it wares the rubber :D now looking at the cg valve opening window type, but i think with a thicker O ring on the bottom of itit will fit over the hole in the throttle and seal nicely, slot the fixing holes in the cg valve and it will mount upto the QG body. HMMMMM

next to look at the TPS

TPS are different, but could be made to fit if needs be, although the connecter is the same as the CG, so it may well be plug and play, after all it only to tell the ecu where the throttle is, no real gadjetery in there

20120925_132939.jpg

20120925_132957.jpg

i dont think they did an n16 2.0 hoop ?? just 1.5/1.8/2.2D (apart from liam,s and harry,s transplant ones :))

Sorry i meant to say Almera Tino, they did them with an SR20 auto only though, but thats ok because the TB are the same appart from the 2 throttle levers on the auto, easily swappable with a normal manual QG one :D i have ordered that one off ebay anyway, for £19.99 id be a fool no to haha

heres a couple of pics i just took of the CG ISV in the QG ISV housing, dont know if you can make out the 1mm ish gap between the bottom of the valve and the bottom of the housing. Marked in red :D if i can get this to fit tightish against the bottom, double up on the O ring so its deffo air tight i think this will work. will have to wait and see when its on the car. possibly file down the area marked FILE :D

isv1.jpg

20120925_174527.jpg

i also dug out the multimeter to see if the TPS were giving the same readings, but my meter is a £3 one, i cant find my fluke one :( so my readings are all over the shop, different every time, but very much the same on both lol

wheres the fun in fitting an engine thats already fast, i much prefere to spunk a shed load more cash on trying to make a slow engine fast and never get it working properly then eventually give up :D

Back