MA12 conversions & speedos

H

Herr_spl1ff

For those of you who have swapped an MA12 engine in place of an MA10, what have you done about the speedo as the new engine is capable of higher speeds than the old speedo can display?

Can you get them recalibrated or adjusted or do I just need to find a higher reading speedo?

Obviously this isn't essential for day to day driving on public roads as I never go that fast but I would like to get it sorted :)

What you CAN do is buy some dials from anywhere outside the UK (they go to 160 km/h) and get a speedo converter for the gearbox, that would give you readings of up to 160mph! :) (Although you'll probably only use 2/3rds of that ;))

Oh and MK10, possibly because they wanted to reuse the dial cluster on the higher spec models?

Found some on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Micra-K10-Tacho-Kombiinstrument_W0QQitemZ7990978491QQcategoryZ9895QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem hehe
1d_1_b.JPG

Translate: http://babelfish.altavista.com ;)

Can also get these then:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tachofolie-Nissan-Micra-K10-Super-S-tacho_W0QQitemZ7990786208QQcategoryZ72985QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
NI-0781-03.jpg

NI-0784-03.jpg

f2_1_b.JPG

(and other styles/colours ;))

MicraK10 said:
why does my 1.2 micra have 100mph on the clock...

and my friends 1.0 SAXO have 110 on the clock???

Its odd that they designed all K10's up to 100, yet the March ST i believe goes up to 160! The dial cluster apart from the odd cosmetic difference are the same!

I hired a 1.2 corsa up in scotland and the clock went up to 140!

If you print customs from a computer, wont that effect the lights inbehind, so at night you wont see the speed your doing?

Arnold said:
Its odd that they designed all K10's up to 100, yet the March ST i believe goes up to 160! The dial cluster apart from the odd cosmetic difference are the same!
Actually the ST goes up to 180 km/h (110mph) :p Still not enough though ;)

Just so you know i have a set of those dial replacement covers from germany,
cost about a tenner and where posted no worries!

Got plasma blue and they look quite cool!

James said:
Arnold said:
Actually the ST goes up to 180 km/h (110mph) :p Still not enough though ;)

Ed told me his dials were in MPH! Someone's been telling pork pies

If you print customs from a computer, wont that effect the lights inbehind, so at night you wont see the speed your doing?

Again, Please...

If you take off the green backing then it should be ok (I've seen it done with photogloss paper before).

And arnold, his dials are converted to MPH, but thats only cos of a widget on the gearbox, without it they would read in km/h.

MicraK10 said:

Again, Please...

Be patient! You've asked 3 times in ten minutes

No.. the light will still shine though. Dials are currently made of a thin green plastic whereas you're simply sticking another sheet of paper on top. If they do become harder to see, then simply change the dial bulbs for something brighter.

so you think it should be ok, should i remve the black speedo and put in the white, or put the white over the black? cos that would be black on white and visa basicly...

Put the white on the black first and if it doesnt shine through ok, you can peel it off. If you take the black off, theres probably no going back!

My k10 dials had white paper stuck over the original black and they were ok

Djdr1veB1 said:
Just so you know i have a set of those dial replacement covers from germany,
cost about a tenner and where posted no worries!

Got plasma blue and they look quite cool!
Wow! Gotta see these next time i meet you :)

Blimey you'l end up getting kicked off for spamming / post count increasing!

The dials can be easily removed from the cluster, however, chances are your speedo and other pins could be slightly out when putting them back on. My RPM was over reading and my speedo was about 20mph out when it was reconnected!

OK,

My Haynes does not specify how to remove the dial cards from the rear enclosure that houses the instruments.

Thats not to say that they cant come off, but if you prefer not to risk separating them, then, I can see from the pictures in the manual that you may be able to lie the rear enclosure face down on your scanner (if it's a flatbed scanner) and scan away.

Even if the cards dont touch the scanner glass.....the immage that you get should be geometrically sound as long as the dial cards lie PARALLEL with the scaller glass. You might need to chock up une edge of the rear enclosure while its on the scanner to ensure the dial cards are parallell.

Sorry its not the ideal solution, but with a bit of photo-edditing-magic you could be onto a winner?

Ed used some gizmo when he did the timing on my car and managed to sort the RPM out exactly. The speedo tho is still out, but that's because my wheels aren't stock. Its 'roughly' correct but dont trust it past speed cameras!

SammoHung and Arnold, thanks...

But what i'll prob do is measure the sizes print that out and place them over, for example though the pin...

SammoHung, does it give the sizes of the speedo ect in there? just wondering if you may have seen it in there...

1) Take the plastic dial off by unscrewing the two screws to the left and right of the steering wheel

2) at the top and bottom of the plastic dial cluster, there are 4 screws which hold it in. One in each corner, take these out and it will come 'loose'

3) Remove the speedo cable & Wire blocks / connectors from the back of the dials

4) Once the three above things are out, it should be removable

5) On the edge of the cluster (top and bottom) Press the plastic clips in to firstly remove the clear plastic layer, then press the other ones in to remove the other plastic layer (which surrounds the dials) Try to do them evenly and not bend them otherwise they'l snap!

6) The speedo and possibly others are held down with screws. Take these out

7) The speedo dial has a small plastic stop at 0 which stops the needle from spinning. Remove this first. If the speedo needle drops lower, remember EXACTLY where this is. If you dont take the plastic pin out and remove it at 0, chances are your speedo will over/under read when you put it back in.

8) Remove the rest of the pins and the plastic dial cards should come out

When you've taken the whole cluster out, do not bash it or shake it about! There's alot of weak green plastic things inside which remove the bright glow from the bulbs. One of mine melted and fell out when i removed my dials, and hasnt gone in again since.

The above instructions are rushed so im sorry for any incorrectness in the procedure. Good luck! and if in doubt, do not continue with what you're doing!

No Probs mate!

Naaah! no size specifications though I'm affraid!

Good luck with the job ....jet us know how you got on :)

btw....'scaller' is 'scanner' ....and......'une' is 'one' (i cant spell or type...bad combo...lol)

To Save This Trouble, loads of you said you've replaced them, so do you have the files from when you scanned or any links?

i've gone for a spin and it is doing the correct speeds acording to my digital... but the only problem is it you look, the 90mph and 100mph....just go past the cover by mm's.... part from that its perfect...

RE: RE: MA12 conversions & speedos

Oboema said:
Looks good!

Can you show us what it looks like with backlighting, at night?

Shocking!! So tonight im going to install some mood lights inside the box...

Cant Wait!!

Looks great mate!!! Gunna try this again with the green backing left on after reading this. Should look good with white dials in. Shame about the 90 and 100 but apart from that it looks sweet. :D

RE: RE: MA12 conversions & speedos

micra man said:
Shame about the 90 and 100 but apart from that it looks sweet. :D

Not anymore my friend!!!, i've been up since 6:30 addusting the numbers and sizes ect, and now all the numbers and lines can be seen, looks brand new, more pictures later...

Looks great!!! Makes me wanna do mine now....in Km/h that is. ;)

Can't wat to see the pics with lighting at night!

good work

DUDE!

you are a f****** HERO !!!! :laugh:

that looks like an ACE JOB !

I'm gonna celebrate your success with several brandys and just ignore the jellousy that is manifest!
:alien:

Nice move with the 90 / 100 improvement that was really worth the effort it looks so muck beter again!

Back