Unusually Modified MA12 needs parts

K

kieranWW14

Hi im new to this forum but so far have found it very interesting.
I race an MA12 micra in class 4 in Autograss. Because the class limit is 1130cc I use the MA12 block, rods and pistons but with the MA10 crank. The block is modified accordingly. As you can imagine this setup produces a screamer of an engine but its not to its full advantage. I would like to get my hands on the folowing parts;
Oversize Pistons and rings
High Lift Cam
Steel Bolts
Oversize Valves
Any help would be much appreciated.
P.S. I would like to do it on as small a budget as possible.
Thanks in advance.

I dont really know mate. somewhere betweeen a well modified MA10 and a well modified MA12 I guess. when i have it done ill definitely let you know cos my uncle has a rolling road that i have use of so i can play around with it quite a bit.

Class 4 autograss

You would be best off telling us what you have already.
What inlet and exhaust manifolds are you using, what work you have had done to the head and what rpm limit are you running to?

Oversize pistons- Nissan do them, but they do not increase the capacity much (I think they are 0.2mm oversize which would only increase the capacity about 6cc), plus the MA12 block has a reputation for having headgasket problems so you probably wouldnt want to enlarge the bore much more since that would add to the problem.

Cams; The only company I know of that lists K10 Micra camshaft profiles is dbilas in Germany:
http://www.dbilas-dynamic.de/dbilas_eng/index.htm
Cam shafts can be reprofiled by just about any camshaft company (Kent, Piper etc) but you would have to tell them what you profile you wanted they are unlikey to have much experience with the MA engine. Note that you will most likely need stronger valve springs to match.

Bolts; Which bolts do you mean? Whats wrong with what you have? If you mean the Big end bolts then I would only change the type if you are having failures (ARP for example). The Big end bolts on most Japanese engines of this period are usually quite strong, I would just use genuine Nissan parts renewed every engine strip down.

The valves on the MA10 and MA12 are quite big for such a small engine. They should be suitable for up to about 110bhp without having to enlarge them. Provided the rest of the engine is suitable. Getting more than about 110bhp is going to be difficult and expensive.

Any help?

The class 4 rules are fairly free arent they? Let us know more about your car sounds very interesting.

Craig

some good advice there! if you have custom manifolds or parts please share your contacts with us as many on here would like these parts for there k10's

Ya thanks a lot for that Craig, some useful contacts there cheers mate. I'm using a manifold i made myself for the bike carbs. I got a guy called Harvey to do the exhaust manifold (not too sure if thats his second name or first) for £140, which i thought was alright for a handmade custom exhaust. His number is 01970880340.

got a picture of it mate? ive had serveral personally i think there worth around £20 ish depending what ones they are. i only put this price on it cos ive bought so many from scrappies before and they usually want pennies for these

I want to remove my lower spoiler, but i dont know what to do about filling in te holes, if its alot, then I wont bother.

D4R73N said:
I want to remove my lower spoiler, but i dont know what to do about filling in te holes, if its alot, then I wont bother.

Ive already told you how to do this, and you're also taking the thread off topic.

Post a new one if you want further advice or read over my msn conversation again

you may as well just replace the boot you can get them a scrappies for £20-30 if you look hard enough you can find mint condition ones

kieranWW14 said:
Ya thanks a lot for that Craig, some useful contacts there cheers mate. I'm using a manifold i made myself for the bike carbs. I got a guy called Harvey to do the exhaust manifold (not too sure if thats his second name or first) for £140, which i thought was alright for a handmade custom exhaust. His number is 01970880340.

Back on topic sort of.
Is that a Aberystwyth number? Does he build a lot of these manifolds or was that just one off?

I dont actually know where he is because i got one of my friends to pick it up for me. but from what i can remember he was in north wales somewhere. He does do a lot of the manifolds and he will do a full system if you want it for not much more. He also does do a lot of one off jobs the reason i got him to do my manifold was because i saw the job he had done in a twin bike class 7. He does do some really trick work.

kieranWW14 said:
Hi im new to this forum but so far have found it very interesting.
I race an MA12 micra in class 4 in Autograss. Because the class limit is 1130cc I use the MA12 block, rods and pistons but with the MA10 crank. The block is modified accordingly. As you can imagine this setup produces a screamer of an engine but its not to its full advantage. I would like to get my hands on the folowing parts;
Oversize Pistons and rings
High Lift Cam
Steel Bolts
Oversize Valves
Any help would be much appreciated.
P.S. I would like to do it on as small a budget as possible.
Thanks in advance.

hi there kieran i also do autograss but in class 2, i have had a look at class 4 micra k10s what sort of cc have you ended up with this setup???i had a problem with conrod stretching and valve contack after a few race meeting.
the only problem i think you will have is the conrods not being strong enough and snapping at high revs which will result in massive engine damage,i think you will have to look at this before thinking about oversize pistons cams etc..

To answer speedle's question, if he is going making a full system then he will need the car i think, however if you just want to get a manifold then he can make one for you without you giving him the car as far as i know.
To answer Bob's questions, when i calculated cc i came up with a figure of 1088cc which i know is not completely accurate because i didnt take into account for the dished piston as i only wanted a rough guide to make sure i would be under 1130c. Unfortunately i was only able to race the car for a few meetings at home in Ireland before i came to Swansea so i havent been able to see if the con-rods will hold? Did you race something similiar in c4 or are you talking about your c2? Do you know if there are any companies making con-rods for the ma12 engine if there is i might investigate into buying some.

I'm not sure if any companies make con rods for the k10 I'm sure bob will know, but you can get them lightened polished and then peaned by companies like www.robwalkerengineering.co.uk the peaning process should add fair amount of strength.

PS where about are you in Swansea?

Ya definitely I must look into that. I might even be able to do that myself, Im pretty sure i could get access to those machines if i wanted to. Im living on Mount Pleasant right next to the Institute where i go to Uni.

Kieran
The dished piston doesnt make any difference to the capacity of the engine.
If you are using the MA12 block which i think has a 71mm bore and a MA10 crank with a 68mm stroke (?) then the capacity will work out to be 1077cc.

I think the MA12 block has 71,5mm bore. But it doesnt really matter anyway as you have to take into appreciation that the calculations were done in a shed at about 1.30 on a sunday morning by a few of us who had been working on a grass car since 8 on the saturday morning.

Does anyone on this site do autograss in the midlands. I wouldn't mind going along to watch to be honest, sounds interesting. Anyone willing to let me tag along to a race or two?

Sorry to go off topic a bit?

Kieran, are you doing the Motor Sport Engineering degree? I'm just enrolling for september.

Amy, yes i am doing the degree course if you want to email me i can tell you more about it and if you want i could show you around the place if you havent already been. sorry weve gone a bit off topic everyone but we are talking about a persons future here

I was suprised at how well equipped it was. I wasn't really expecting them to have flow benches and full cad facilities. I'll send you a mail.

Back