MA10 to MA12 What do i need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been covered already but I just need a vague idea of what i'm doing.
Engine seized this morning, but luckily my m8 crashed his 1991 K10 1.2 a while ago so he sold it to the first years on our course for £50 and aparently they dont need engine and gearbox.

Basicly what i need to know is:
  • What parts are different?
  • What wiring needs to be done?
  • What else other than engine and box will i need of donor car?

Thanks in advance
Joe

pre facelift connectors will be different to the facelift ones (carb connections, gearbox reverse light) but these are easily changed, other than that its a straight swap

Doesn't fitting the ma10 carb to the 1.2 increase perfomance? I know fitting the ma10 head to the ma12 increases the compression ratio therefore performance (standard ma12 comp 9.0:1, ma10 9.5:1).

both pointless tbh the ma10 carb idea is sound but makes little or no difference as does changing the head were talking 1-2bhp gains which lets face it a good service can provide :p

its not so much about the individual changes, just the end result. Since he has the ma10 parts anyway he will only be spending money on the gaskets.

slyboogie

if the piston crowns are the same on ma10/ma12, then the combustion chambers will be smaller on the ma10 which will give you a higher compression ratio

but arent the ports are a different shape? apparently the MA12 are better for performance as they are more direct, wheres an MA10 head has shaped ports for effiecincy- or so i'm told anyway! I assume the shaped MA10 ones assist tumble or something

i've no idea on CR's, defo somrthing to consider

dan

apparently the valves are the same size, so i assume the ports are the same also, i think the combustion chambers are smaller on an m10 so the raised compression will give you more power

fair do's, i have no idea myself as i've never played with them, but I'm sure I recall a while back being told by experienced folk on here that they have different shaped ports also. could well be wrong! apologies for the bump steer.

dan

that could well be true, bob,s your man to ask
i know that my ma12 went well with a 2 or 3mm head skim and a lightened flywheel but bog standard inlet and exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back