M.O.T time again

toplad

Buy & Sell Member
My k11s got about 3 and a half weeks mot remaining and im gonna book it for a slighlty early mot some time this week.

Firstly , the car did have a knocking noise from the rear , when my neigbour had a look at the car he jacked it up and , he said that the exhaust (back box) was put on upside down(before i bought the car) .So he got a chunky rubber thing and some wire and tide it around the exhaust to prevent the knocking.
My neighbor took the rubber thing and wire off yesterday as he said the mot guys will get a bit suspicious and said to put it on after its passed its mot
Do they fail cars if the back box is on upside down?

the underbody is very good according to my neighbor and he is very certain that it will not fail for excessive corrosion.

and secondly the front springs are starting to make a bit (very slight) of a noise just a slight noise when you go over bumps and steep hills , is this typical of old micras , or are the front shocks on the way out? is this an mot failure??

heres a pic if u wana have a look at it

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zlk7z7

thanks any top tips will be appreciated

Just out of interest why don't you put the box on the right way up? or cant you remove it?
Type 'MOT Checklist' into google and that will tell you what needs to be done.

MOT tests will check the suspension, but do it yourself by pushing down on each corner of the car. If the car goes down then up pretty smoothly, you should be fine. If it continues to bounce up and down then it will probably fail.

Exhaust should be ok upside down, as long as it's secured correctly using the rubber mounts. Anything else like cable ties, wire etc might fail it due to not being secure.

thanks for that will download a copy of thew checklist and check the suspension by pushing it down , much appreciated for the help guys.

i cant see how you can fit a backbox upside down as the bend would go the wrong way and not match upto the center section:suspect:. unless it's a universal backbox which has been fitted to some pipe.
as said before, if it's secure and uses all the mounting rubbers then it should be fine, as long as it's not blowing.

Back