Lowering your car!

W4RDL3 M1CR4

Ex. Club Member
Hi all. I lowered my car last night with 35mm GMAX Springs.

I was wondering... Is the backend supposed to be as low as the front end? Mine seems to be higher than the front end that is all.

I might have put the springs in upside down or something as in the pictures it never said which way they went.

Does the compressed bit go to the bottom or the top? I can't remember which way mine went in but it does look abit higher than the front!

Someone help me please!

remeber that you have more weight over the front end than the back end so you may notice this.

TBH it might just take the rears a little longer to bed in (as there isn't that much weight). Also double check the springs are correctly seated (ie not half out etc)

wilsonian said:
remeber that you have more weight over the front end than the back end so you may notice this.

TBH it might just take the rears a little longer to bed in (as there isn't that much weight). Also double check the springs are correctly seated (ie not half out etc)
They are put in the correct way mate. I made sure of that. I just was not sure which way the compressed bit of the springs went.

Do you know which way they went?

I just hope that I've got them in the right way and that they settle in. The front is just above the wheels but my back has a pretty big gap. Does not look lowered that much to be honest.. Even if it has been at all!

dont think u can put them on upside down...it wont look like it has been striaght away be patient they have to bed in and what size wheels u rolling on?

Gemma85 said:
dont think u can put them on upside down...it wont look like it has been striaght away be patient they have to bed in and what size wheels u rolling on?
I've got 15's

Should I maybe keep pushing the back end up and down? LOL

Or stick someone in the back and take them out for a ride in my snot!? :k11green:

just in general the front will look lower than the front as the engine and weight is there. it shouldn't be too noticable though.

may sound daft but u haven't put the rears on the front etc?

Grant said:
go B&Q and get a bag of sand, and chuck that in the boot. lol

got any picture of it mate?
Not yet but I'll get some of it later.

Also wilsonian I have put the ones with the compressed bits on the rear as they had rear wrote on them LOL. So I don't think I might have put them like that. One side of my rear has went down now but the other still has to settle I think it was because I bumped down from the kirb while at my Girlfriends. I might have to do that with the other side now LOL.

the back will sit higher just the way it is, 35mil springs don't do much joy 4 the micra cause they sit like 4x4's get the angle grinder out lad it works a treat and play about till ur happy :D

Rocking_Rota said:
get the angle grinder out lad it works a treat and play about till ur happy :D

not the best thing to do lol, very dangerous if you ask me. anyway wouldnt the spring jump/flick out its place if you was to go over a big bump?

the fronts are coilover so no.

But you run a BIG risk of that on the rear.

Under NO circumstances should you cut your springs, not safe. And quite idiotic

Alienfish360 said:
the fronts are coilover so no.

But you run a BIG risk of that on the rear.

Under NO circumstances should you cut your springs, not safe. And quite idiotic
I was not going to anyway :D.

I am after some lowerer springs.. maybe 50mm! But I also need shocks!

Any ideas?

Disagre, if you measure presicely and take it slow with the grinder using diamond plated cutting discs (like i did) you can cut springs with no defects on your handling, mine actually improved!

Although i wouldnt advise you to cut them unless you know what your doing!

Wrenchable said:
Disagre, if you measure presicely and take it slow with the grinder using diamond plated cutting discs (like i did) you can cut springs with no defects on your handling, mine actually improved!

Although i wouldnt advise you to cut them unless you know what your doing!
I would reck the whole thing me like LOL.
Anyone know anyone selling cheap 50mm lowering springs or even cheap coilovers!

W4RDL3 M1CR4 said:
even cheap coilovers!

Cheap and coilovers in the same sentance don't usually happen. If all goes to plan this week I am going to be organising a group buy for these and you will be paying a good bit less than the £700 rrp you would pay anywhere else.

Wrenchable said:

Diamond Plated Cutting discs have no benificial properties to the spring being compressed wrongly when on the car.

Thankyou auto, diamond cutting discs dont go blunt any where near as quickly, so they cut through easier and quicker stopping excessive heat build up cracking the metal! I only cut one coil off and saw a surprising increase in handling around corners, they're mounted properly. These are uprated springs.

No im not gonna cut rears, as mentioned earlier this is far to dangerous! Just saving up for a -50mm kit now!

Back