guys need your answers before giving car to the mech

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
I've just got the lowering springs from pete and a new set of oem shocks..

I've called the mechanic and he asked me if on top of the front shock absorbers there's a kind of a bearing in our micra? cos he told me if there's one did you buy it?

my question is ..is there some kind of bearing ?

I just need to know which car parts are required for replacing shocks n springs..

apart from panhard rod... do I have to buy anything further apart from the shocks n springs? your reply would help the mechanic much I guess as I'll let him know your reply.

he assumed he'd require more than a day's work to replace them all...would it take him that much time?

Also on hard corners the oil light comes on and goies off immediately.. I'm assuming it's cos the fluid moves off the sensor due to turning force and the light comes on.. but I guess for this to occur it should be low..right?

cos I think the enginee should contain enough oil to not get affected in hard corners...

I'd really appreciate any replies ..please as after I get the info, the mechanic is expecting me to call him to book the car...

cheers everyone!

its a very basic nylon bush/thrustrace under the topmount, and your oil must be really low if its starving when cornering :eek:
and your man must be pretty slow !

3 hours max to change all the shocks and springs hardest bit is swaping the front springs. rears its just a case of undoing the shocks and drop the beam and the springs drop out (well nearly)

the "basic nylon bush/thrustrace under the topmount" would it need replacing too guys?.. I wonder what the mechanic is was thinking of when we were on the phone and he thought it'd take 2 days.. I hope he comeplte's the car in 1..cos I really can't go without it..

Was he not thinking something like the top mounts that coilovers have?

Top mount will only need replacing if its worn...which tbh i doubt it will be...as said a couple of hours will get it done providing the bolts all come undone.

the "basic nylon bush/thrustrace under the topmount" would it need replacing too guys?.. I wonder what the mechanic is was thinking of when we were on the phone and he thought it'd take 2 days.. I hope he comeplte's the car in 1..cos I really can't go without it..

if your putting all new shocks on why not replace the top mount bushes and bearing? cost me £200 for better ones so im guessing from a motorfactor if would be alot cheaper. as with the oil get it topped up or youll need an engine soon lol

if your putting all new shocks on why not replace the top mount bushes and bearing? cost me £200 for better ones so im guessing from a motorfactor if would be alot cheaper. as with the oil get it topped up or youll need an engine soon lol

ha two days thats a joke its a case of undoing 16 bolts to remove all 4 corners of suspension, as someone said above the backs are a doddle the spring will come off and dampers are easy two the only thing garages worry about is changing springs on the front and to be honest that is a doddle aswell aslong as they have the correct equiptment. They just need spring compressors which all garages should have and takes about 10 min to remove a spring if that! Dont let the garage rip you off!!!! All together as well as driving the car in the garage and getting on a ramp to remove and refit is about 2 hours MAX

your mech is a cowboy if hes wanting a day to do it. like evryone said, its at the most 2.5 hours job to swap them all and get a lunch break. :D.

But no, you just need the panhard rod nothing else for lowring.

you guys are awesome here! man I'm ####ed off we got no bloody garage..and I won't go asking anyone to do the job in his and the fact that I go not much tools keeps me held back..

I've had my mates at work also telling me how easy the rears should be...but still I can't afford t o try it out in the street..espec if I'm stuck and no more sun is there..

I've been pushed to this mech by a friend at work..the mech's an old guy he used to work lots on mini's. my mate said he works fine and very clean in his work...and most of all cheap... that's the reason I'm taking it at him next monday..

hope he won't charge me much..I'm not confident enough with the chap to make him come up with a price...though he's gotta change the springs n shocks and the CV joint.

from another mechanic who works near me..I've been charged GBP120-130 for a CV joint replacement..felt ripped off..so had to change the mech...

Guys you're awesome & I do really appreciate your work here.. it'd be nice to move on to another car with more electric ####e and robustness...BUT micras are so pampered here that I have to love it your way fellas!

cheers everyone!

your Maltese Micra ambassador - Ian :D

yep ebay is the winner in these situations with the parts etc. water pump is less than £10 :p found that out the hard way lol

Back