Low engine temp

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience from running micras in temperatures below minus five degrees celcius. My micra doesn't get the engine up to normal temperature in this cold weather and I wonder if this is common for the micra or if my thermostat has gone bust.

if your thermostat had gone bust (stuck open) you would have at max, luke warm heating in the car. is this so?

Mine isn't heating fully either. I think its the weather as there is 6 cars in the household and none of them are completely heating up.

Mine isn't heating fully either. I think its the weather as there is 6 cars in the household and none of them are completely heating up.
If you manage to run them for a quite a while and tested both circulate heating settings and the 'fresh' air setting and still no decent heating then there must be a problem somewhere even gunk in the pipe can cause a slight problem. :down:

your stat is stuck open, even in minus temp it will get upto normal engine temp, mine was broken but i changed it last week, not the engine gets upto normal temperature fairly quickly but the heater is still pants, i miss my k10 heater

your stat is stuck open, even in minus temp it will get upto normal engine temp, mine was broken but i changed it last week, not the engine gets upto normal temperature fairly quickly but the heater is still pants, i miss my k10 heater

The K10 heater was immensely powerful. even this time last year i had the windows open with the heating on (Y)

I think low coolant causes this too. Mine was a bit cool the other day and it was about 2 pints short. I filled it and it gets nice and hot now, I guess it's because the heater matrix is on a level with the upper part of the engine?

remember to turn the heater dial to cold during cold starts to speed up the engine heatup period. only once the engines up to temp do you then turn up the heater.

Operating temp

I think the k11 is potentially overcooled. My 1.0 k11 takes forever to reach its normal temp in this cold weather. As last year the the oil has thickened up too and when very cold it is being pumped past the oil filter O ring on start-up and leaving a trail down the road! I dont know what oil is in there as it was last changed by the previous owner, but I have included some straight 40 oil when topping up!

The engine is also quieter than normal and less inclined to rev. Most of my journeys are less than 6 miles so I am going to put a piece of plastic sheet over part of the radiator as many used to do years ago to mini's. I think I am correct insaying that the same rad is used by the 1.3 and they are not famous for overheating, a 1.0 must at times be overcooled. The mpg I am achieving has also dropped drastically of late as so much heat(and fuel) is being used to bring(and keep) the engine to operating temperature.

We do not tend to get extremes of temp in this country so 10w30 or 20w50 could be used in most engines over ten years old without worry. Given the weather of the past few years perhaps its time to look at things again. Given the greater temp stability of semi and espcially fully synth oils its time spend a bit more and use lighter oils without question. There might be some classic cars that have cast iron castings that require a heavier oil, but for the vast majority lighter oil is far better. A micra engine is still today a precision piece of kit and and as the Dude has shown benifits with increased power when using thinner oil.

I just happen to have lots of oil on the shelf that will get used as and when, but if I was buying I would be getting 5W30 fully synth Magantec from B+Q for under £20 as they have just started selling motoring products again after many years.

remember to turn the heater dial to cold during cold starts to speed up the engine heatup period. only once the engines up to temp do you then turn up the heater.

I do that but the heat guage doesnt go higher than a quarter on the scale anyway. THe heat int he car is rubbish now but it was pretty desent when it was just abovve zero degrees celcius.

my heater was (surprisingly) working fine today, tho my tophose was full of slushpuppy this morning :eek: (it must have been about -10 last night)

My engine temp gauge is suddenly showing lower than usual temp since the cold spell of weather last week. (See photo). Usually the dial is just below horizontal when heated up (blue line), but last week it didn't get above where I photographed it. Will see if it's better tomorrow as weather is a bit warmer. But is it normal or does it suggest a faulty thermostat? The coolant is full.

Attachments

• 20231210_212638.jpg
    20231210_212638.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 19
Back