Lost Property Law

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Random question,thought i'd ask on here

If you've lost an item/goods,whats the time period to claim it? Is it correct that after X amount of time,if the item/goods arent collected,then the founder is entitled to it?

Yeah there is such a law - I don't know it exactly, but basically if you hand in lost property to the police, after a set time (3 months maybe...) it's yours.

slightly related, i lost something really awesome around your area, have you seen it?

Rather than going into too much detail,the break down is this...

- Someone sent me some money via Paypal
- Rang Paypal and they checked my account and verified that this person(s) had HACKED my paypal,added a 2nd bank account and attempted to transfer said funds to the 2nd bank account
- 9 days after the original transaction Paypal cancelled the bank transfer
- Paypal told me to change passwords etc and to send the money back
- Spoke to my bank and checked everything was ok
- Spoke to the Police,they said because im not a Victim of Crime,they cant do anything

Now,if your account got Hacked,would you wanna give said money back? Baring in mind its not a small amount

anything for a fellow msc'r , just send the cash over to me and i'll take the heat that comes with it :grinning:

Stani...its a fair amount. Someone did say that,but then i could have a car full of angry men turn up to my door asking for it back lol. Quick question....

If you send money to someone,you use their email/paypal address,correct? Once that money is sent,do they obtain any other info about you?

I'd withdraw the cash to your bank account but keep it for a while, if there's no comebacks after a month or two spend it, as whoever it was hacked your account they may have more details than you would wish, on the otherhand what they did was illegal and they may assume they were found out and paypal took the money and reported it to the police, either way hang on to the money if some large men turn up give it back.

I'd withdraw the cash to your bank account but keep it for a while, if there's no comebacks after a month or two spend it, as whoever it was hacked your account they may have more details than you would wish, on the otherhand what they did was illegal and they may assume they were found out and paypal took the money and reported it to the police, either way hang on to the money if some large men turn up give it back.

pretty sure u should hold on to it may be buy some vasilibe out of it incase the big men do turn up lol

Stani...its a fair amount. Someone did say that,but then i could have a car full of angry men turn up to my door asking for it back lol. QUOTE]

This happened to someone i know about 2 years ago and trust me, they WILL turn up, its an eastern european scam, lithuanian or russian based, its a form of money laundering, best thing to do is put the money aside and sit and wait, or withdraw it and hand it in to the police with as much info as possible as to where it originates and the details of how it all came about, the lad i know recieved £1000

paypal will have an address, telephone number and bank details. thats about it, if you changed address then you are off the grid as far as their details are concerned.

if the money belongs to people who hacked your bank, then they don't deserve it anyway. if it belonged to someone else who is innocent then the money should go back to them.

generally you should prepare for people coming round, not because of this, but because at any time someone random could come up to your door claiming your stuff. a friend moved into a new house, and bailiffs came round looking for the previous owner. he had just had a kid with his wife a few days before, and these guys wouldn't take no for an answer, they forced their way in trying to take stuff. my friend beat the crap out of them.

but anyway, here is what i would do. find out who the money belongs to, if they are a hacker then keep the money, if they are innocent give it back. keep the money in a bank account and just leave it there for a few months. try and work out how someone got your paypal details, maybe its someone you know.

What would you do if it was a tenner? I wouldn't let greed cloud your judgment. If I hacked someone's account and put a large sum of money in it, I would take the time to record their details off the 'my account' part...
Imo, if you steal from criminals then you are as bad as them.

i was having a thought about this, maybe this is how they launder the money, they put it in your account and then come round and force you to hand over the money. you can't claim that you were robbed because it wasn't your money, you were supposed to give it back. if you give the money back then the scam doesn't work, but they are relying on you trying to keep the money so that they can come round and force it out of you as cash. that way they get clean money, and you get all the blame for accepting stolen cash when you were told to give it back.

i think your best bet now is to talk to the authorities, ask them what happens if you send the money back and they come round looking for it, and what happens if you keep the money or at least give it to charity (criminals shouldn't get their money back)

Well there's 2 major options really.

1 - You send the money back to whence it came and be done with it, preferably through pay-pal as a disputed payment, so as to minimize any potential risks involved, (don't want to be caught up in potential money laundering, if applicable).

2 - You keep the money for yourself. However, if you are going to do this be sure you have considered all possible outcomes associated with that choice and are fully prepared to accept them. Not saying anything will happen, but be sure you have considered all the risk involved.

The LAST thing i want is a car full of angry men coming after me. I'll wait till new year (which will then be a month since it got transfered) and ring Paypal. I'll then see what paypal have to say and get them to transfer it (or at least remove it from my account)

I've had my bank account hacked, from Romania I think, they transfered about £600 from their account into one of mine, then transfered that £600 into another one of mine, then they tried to transfer £1000 from it back to theirs. But my bank caught on, frose the transfer and rang me to ask if I were transfering a large sum of money. I said no, they stopped all transactions, said I was hacked and will sort everything out. They moved some money about and I was left with an additional £600 in one account, but after a week the bank just removed it. And nothing went further, no investigation etc.

I've also had my Paypal account hacked from someone in london, took about £30 for Dominoes pizza and made another £50 purchase, I had info on their name and address, reported it to Paypal and I was refunded within a couple of hours.

If I were you, I'd withdraw it and put in to someone elses account, these are typically groups of computer hackers from Eastern Europe dealing with millions of accounts according to what I've read in the news. I personally wouldn't expect anyone to turn up to your house demanding for money, it would be risky and a waste of time, but it's obviously not great knowing what could happen. I'd also inform the police to see if what you are doing is illegal, it probably isn't, but it'l be worth it to have it in writting incase the bank wants to pocket it.

Only thing that worries me is if they've took my details when they hacked my account. Its all good and well closing down the paypal account,but if they've got my bank details,i'm screwed! Its then ALOT of hassle starting a new bank account,transfering the direct debits etc etc

As i said,i'll wait till new year,remove my bank account from my Paypal and ring Paypal. I'll then create a new Paypal and add my bank account and start a fresh from there. That way i can carry on using it and have this other money stored in my 'old' account.

Go into your bank and have a talk with them about the possibility of your bank account being hacked, theyd be the best people to advise you on that

Im now able to have a Credit Card,and all they suggested was to take this credit card out,and link that to paypal instead of my actual bank account

Rang paypal and verified everything etc Ive gotta refund the money back to the person. Tried argueing that they hacked my account etc but nothing else can be done. My card and bank details have been removed. Paypal are gonna transfer the money for me.Guess thats all i can do just hope nothing else comes of it

Back