Lights on when doors open

samcsd

Ex. Club Member
I have some LEDs currently wired to a seperate 9v battery, is there a way to wire then into the car so that they come on when the doors open?

S

Yeah, go to a scrapyard and get yourself two door switches, then fit them onto the car and wire your LEDs up to them. You'll have double-door switches on both sides which if done right will look fine, and if anyone asks; they're alam sensors...

cheers guys! how would you suggest connecting the door switches?

Could I go the same with the boot, currently I can't see whats in there when its dark....

Go to a scrap yard and look for a GS, GX or anything of that level and up. They come with boot lights, so if you get the light and get the trim from that side too (much easier than chopping up your current one), then you can just fit them into your car and wire them up.
If you don't already have the wires for the light tucked behind the trim then you can quite easily run your own wiring under the carpet and to the fuse box, pick a 10/15amp fused constant live and splice into it.
The boot lights have their own switch so you don't have to messaround with putting one on the boot lid.
As for wiring up your LED's in the front to some extra door switches, get two passenger side switches for this job. They only use a two wire setup, basically providing an earth to the light when the door is opened. The drivers side switch use three wires which makes it more tricky. So two passenger side switches, a boot light and it's side trim is what you need (you will have to remove the back seat to take off the trim).

And remember to always disconnect the battery when doing any kind of electrical work!!!!!! Can't stress that enough.

I've just finished fitting a set to my mates '05 civic - and his door sensors run into a connecting block tucked away under the dash... which got me thinking.

Surely the wiring from the micra's door sensors must be on a similar setup (ok so I know it's an older car, but the principles are the same).
I wired in my alarm system to the door sensors, but can't for the life of me remember what colour wires I was dealing with or where I took the feed from (was a long time ago) - anyone got any thoughts on this?

Would make for a much easier install methinks....

the door light switch button things, are attached by a push connector into the main loom, it then runs along the inside of the car along the sill (the big plastic rectangle under the carpet thats where all the wires are)

Just splice into the exisiting wires from the door switch, there only leds and wont cause any problems plus youve already got everything you need.

Back