Lights Dimming while Braking?

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
Hi Guys, as the title suggests, I've noticed on these dark evenings that my lights have started dimming while I'm braking - not braking even hard, but just braking.
One light wasn't working recently, my mum hit it and all was fine again - do you think it's related?
Or is it because the battery is on it's way out? thats the only logical solution I can think of!

have you tried sitting your car in front of something reflective and braking to see if they dim? could just be that when you brake when driving your lights tilt more towards the ground with the wieght of the car pushing the front end down.

You checked for corrosion on the plugs? One of mine was flicking on and off for a while, jabbed a screw driver down it to clear all the corrosion and bobs your uncle :D

have you tried sitting your car in front of something reflective and braking to see if they dim? could just be that when you brake when driving your lights tilt more towards the ground with the wieght of the car pushing the front end down.

Thats worth a try, I will give that a go!

You checked for corrosion on the plugs? One of mine was flicking on and off for a while, jabbed a screw driver down it to clear all the corrosion and bobs your uncle :D

And if the above doesn't work I will try this! :D
Cheers guys!

Hi
Lights dimming (or coming on dimly) with brake lights is usually an earth fault.
I'd go over earthing points, and clean the rear light connectors and circuit boards.
Your battery will be fine unless you have starting problems. Try putting on all the lights, fan, and other electrical items with the warmed up car ticking over, and watch for a flickering red warning light, this would indicate a failing alternator.
Hope this helps.

Back