leaking hose

Hi folks, was fighting with overheating engine, checked thermostat.. took it out, put in hot water, it opens, and when cools down, closes, so thermostat not an issue. checked waterpump... took off belt, and were spinning it with hand, .. same time thermostat housing were open, and while i was spinning waterpump, some coolant start run out, so i presume, waterpump is fine(no weird sound or loose).
When started engine, and rise revs, i noticed, that water hose, which goes in to throttle box (from waterpump side)is leaking.... small hole... somebody might tried cut with knife, but couldnt manage.

So ... if there is hole in cooling system, could it cause overheating ?? (i presume not running coolant out, but over lack of pressure in it) .

Or i have to look something else,,... like blown headgasket

Thanks

If you have a leak yes it can cause overheating .... due to lack of pressure the water may boil near the leak .... used to have this problem on a triumph spitfire ... poorly sealed metal bypass hose used to show up as in the red on coolant guage ..... ...

Try fixing the hose first ... also worth checking rad cap for a good seal .....

When you say its overheating .. is that by the guage or is it boiling out of the radiator cap or blowing back into the coolant bottle ??

If you have a leak yes it can cause overheating .... due to lack of pressure the water may boil near the leak .... used to have this problem on a triumph spitfire ... poorly sealed metal bypass hose used to show up as in the red on coolant guage ..... ...

Try fixing the hose first ... also worth checking rad cap for a good seal .....

When you say its overheating .. is that by the guage or is it boiling out of the radiator cap or blowing back into the coolant bottle ??

by guage.

i would fill the rad to the brim and check for bubbles @ a fast idle maris, i,ve driven a car for many miles with the cap removed, without it boiling

No it just means there is an air leak somewhere. It could be the headgasket but don't go for the worst option straight away haha.

Back