Why are there holes in the water pump?

I've just had my water pump off, cleaned it up put it on with lots of liquid gasket, assuming it was leaking around the seal between the pump and the block. However, having put it back in, I filled it back up with coolant and now that its clean I can see its not leaking around the gasket, its leaking out of a small hole that looks like its meant to be there. It has no thread though, so I'm sure theres no way of blocking it off.

My guess is that something inside the waterpump has gone, causing water to exit via this hole. Looks like I'll need a new waterpump.

Oh yeah, the other minor problem is that my engines about to drop out. The bottom engine mount has gone and the engines dropped onto a chassis bar! Shouldn't be a hard fix by the looks of it though.

My guess is that something inside the waterpump has gone, causing water to exit via this hole. Looks like I'll need a new waterpump.

Spot on! This is early warrning that your pump is in need of immediate replacment and that its seals have gone. In some cases bearing failure can happen soon after.

Ed

Back