lads i am getting close!!!

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
YEW! 14psi on the supercharger... its not 100% reliable but its closer than i've ever been

not sure its pulling quite as hard up top which would only point to the bypass for the turbo not cutting in properly...

i think i just got a whiff of what these things are like to drive when they work, just awesome!

there's a vid of what the boost gauge is doing when accelerating in gear, its like its hitting some kind of limiter?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~martinm/cars/k10/k10weirdboost.3gp

will prob need quicktime to open that, its just a phone video

anyone got any clues as to whats going on?
i'll post in another thread my other happenings tonight

thanks frank (not fred! sorry, very long night...)! feels like it is never ending sometimes

yeah its not exactly smooth yet, still its massive progress over the noisy and sluggish boost i had last time

also the supercharger is MUCH quieter when its working properly... only a small whine before it comes on boost properly, then it just makes the same noise as a turbo pretty much (which makes sense cause the bypass valve isn't blocking the air!!)

Man the unstable boost is your bypass vaccum valve (UFO) I replaced mine.I've one coming from japan I'll test it in mine and see if it works,They are quite expensive new 185 euro.Total different car when this is sorted out,Imust put up a vid of mine working properly

1-1.jpg

I've the parts you need hilighted there man

yeah it'd be cool to see how the boost gauge is supposed to behave...

i can't 100% say its the UFO until i know for sure my replacement solenoid isn't dicking things over

yeah it'd be cool to see how the boost gauge is supposed to behave...

i can't 100% say its the UFO until i know for sure my replacement solenoid isn't dicking things over

But that exactly what mine done when my Ufo (ha ha) was faulty, exactly the same but I suppose your right

Yeah annoying that. Which is why ultimately im going to dump all that vacuum stuff and do it electronically instead.

so you've seen that symptom before Ed? do you agree its most likely the UFO is the culprit?

i'm not sure how to figure out the purpose and function of the UFO (to replace it with a newer/different/electronic method) without ripping it to bits thus rendering mine useless!

Its quite simple really, but they get old and the bit that dampens the movement of the diaphragm stops doing its job correctly and then the system quickly falls into mechanical resonance - which is what your seeing.

i guess it goes through a heap of cycles in 80,000kms so its not surprising!

now i've got all this boost from the supercharger i'm not totally used to the powerband which used to be all up the top. i don't think i've lost anything from the turbo but i guess i can't tell without another (expensive) trip to the dyno

Hey ed if its a worn spring is there any reason why i can't be replaced or stiffened to stop the chattering? i know its a sealed unit but thats never really stopped anyone before has it... :p

Back