knocklite install

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
in an attempt to know whats going on with the engine, i've installed a knock sensor alarm...(and also doubles as a shift light).... excuse the photos... the sensor is off a skyline and is mounted at the rear centre of the block (on of the water tube mount locations) I bodged up a plug and siliconed the end (looks a mess but I just want it working for know, and besides who gunna see it?) later on it has a plug that will feed into the jaycar programmable ignition kit for ignition retard on knock.....

pic 1

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
pic2

Attachments

• 44264.jpg
    44264.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 41

CMF_SFJ

» CMF Member
btw did you take the fuel / air ratio meter's wire at original lambda sensor ?

just curious :)
off topic but i did put rpm meter as below :
mittarrr.jpg

looks odd :( but i will some day scan speed / fuel meters , and make white / black stickers over original ..
temp meter is waiting new a-pilar cover ..

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
SFJ - did you put a tacho of your own into a non-tacho cluster? Looks like a non-tacho cluster since there's only the fuel gauge, not the combined fuel/water temp gauges on the right hand side.

Fred - Ghetto, but if it works, it works :) Gosh it's dirty inside though.. haha!

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"deNs WROTE:

"SFJ - did you put a tacho of your own into a non-tacho cluster? Looks like a non-tacho cluster since there's only the fuel gauge, haha!

---dens"</div>

japs have done it heaps with the non tacho clusters. 80mm defi slots straight in :D

I've seen the image of the Defi one but was curious to see the back of the cluster, given that the entire rear of it is covered in a PCB. I'd be willing to give it a go but I'd imagine it'd require a bit of modification to get it looking clean.

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
that,s a cute idea fred ;-), are there any electronics between sensor and bulb ?
and i bet a kart tacho could be grafted into a cluster ok (you have to wrap the antenna around 2 plug leads tho, and they flag up your max rpm when you turn the ignition off)

Attachments

• 44306.jpg
    44306.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 30

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
yeah, actually has a microprocessor that you have to set up with threshold engine noise levels across the rev range and will flash different colors depending on amount of knock found.... check out www.turboxs.com under electronics or do a google for more info... quite a trick bit of gear.....

deNs WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"
deNs WROTE:<BR><BR><BR><BR>"SFJ - did you put a tacho of your own into a non-tacho cluster? Looks like a non-tacho cluster since there's only the fuel gauge, haha!<BR><BR>---dens"</DIV><BR><BR><BR><BR>japs have done it heaps with the non tacho clusters. 80mm defi slots straight in :D"</DIV><BR><BR>I've seen the image of the Defi one but was curious to see the back of the cluster, given that the entire rear of it is covered in a PCB. I'd be willing to give it a go but I'd imagine it'd require a bit of modification to get it looking clean.<BR><BR>---dens<BR>

nah, there is actually plenty of depth in the cluster itself once the stock gauge is taken out. the defi gauges are quite thin too.. i've put a tacho and water temp gauge into a 180sx cluster before.. doesn't take much to make it look clean.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"nah, there is actually plenty of depth in the cluster itself once the stock gauge is taken out. the defi gauges are quite thin too.. i've put a tacho and water temp gauge into a 180sx cluster before.. doesn't take much to make it look clean.

Cool, thanks for that :) I'll either do that or continue along with the custom gauge cluster route, which would likely be a lot simpler but will obviously look a lot less 'standard'-ish (but who needs that, right? :p)

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit fred!

---dens

Back