knocking through steering wheel help

Hi all,
Some advice please...When my K10 1.0l car is stationary and i turn the steering wheel there's a clicking\cracking noise coming from the steering gear it started a few weeks ago and is getting worse...Any ideas ?

Thanks Paul (Y)

Hi Frank .... not sure what you mean ? Can you please explain how they fail.Whats the purpose of the rack rubber mount ?

Cheers Paul

the 2 clamps that hold the rack to the body paul, they have rubber covers that go sloppy and allow the rack to move left and right (a common mot fail iirc)

Thanks Frank are you saying the rubbers and clamps should hold the rack firm/solid ? Can i get replacements ? Cheers

Thanks Frank are you saying the rubbers and clamps should hold the rack firm/solid ? Can i get replacements ? Cheers

i doubt if the rubbers are still availiable mate :eek: and the rack should flex a little, just turn the wheel left and right while watching the rack for play :)

hi Frank are the rubbers designed just to hold the rack snug ? As my rack moves from left to right through the bulk head and i'm sure this were the noise is coming from ?

hi Frank are the rubbers designed just to hold the rack snug ? As my rack moves from left to right through the bulk head and i'm sure this were the noise is coming from ?

it should only move a couple of mm paul, if its excessive then some good quality tape wrapped around the rack and the rubbers refitted ontop should help :)

Back