Knocking noise!

Hi Guys,

I've got a knocking noise on my 1998 K11 I'm having a bit of trouble finding. It only happens when I'm accelerating, usually when cold but it's less when the car is warmed through. I think it might be the rear engine/gearbox mount as it sounds like a loud knock that can be felt through the floor under my feet but I'm not sure if that's it. gonna be checking it tomorrow, anyone got any ideas where else to check?

Cheers

Lee

Mine does this too - only when pressing / releasing throttle and sometimes when letting out the clutch. I checked the rear gearbox mount and it seemed solid enough. Hope you can track it down Lee.

Hi

The noise happens when you're accelerating hard or let out the clutch too quickly after changing gear, it will knock loudly at first and then get quieter as you go on. I can't make it happen out of gear at all. Pretty sure its not the CV joints though, none of them have any play in them, and the suspension seems fine too. I'm gonna have it up on a ramp tomorrow hopefully so I'll check the mount, hopefully it'll be that

Cheers

Lee

Hi guys,

Still no closer to finding it, nothing wrong with engine mountings or suspension that I can find. The inner CV joints have a little bit of movement so I'm starting to think its those, might try replacing them when I can and see if it works...

I'll let you know if I find anything else but still a bit baffled tbh

Thanks

Lee

UPDATE - just driven home and he has seemingly fixed it. He noticed that a part of the exhaust was knocking on something underneath the rear of the car and so he moved the brackets holding the exhaust slightly. Will ask him what exactly it was knocking on tmrw and post.

My list of suggestions would be;
Rear engine mount worn
O/S engine mount worn
Rear engine mounting bracket loose
CV joints worn
Snapped/worn/damaged springs
Hi there. Took to mechanic today who checked each item on your list. They're all fine. Mystery.

Hello Lee, I have the same problem. Are you any closer to finding the cause?
Cheers,
Glenn
Hi guys,

Still no closer to finding it, nothing wrong with engine mountings or suspension that I can find. The inner CV joints have a little bit of movement so I'm starting to think its those, might try replacing them when I can and see if it works...

I'll let you know if I find anything else but still a bit baffled tbh

Thanks

Lee
Hi Lee. My knocking issue turned out to be the exhaust hitting the rear drop link (whatever that is!). Maybe worth checking if you're still no closer to finding your cause?

Mine is the driveshaft inner joint, realised noise is less with a passenger (the angle is different) so I'll be replacing that soon, should cure the noise i hope, maybe i'll get less vibration too...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll let you know if it works

Lee

Back