k12 engine removal

Hello all, hope you can help

The daughter has a k12 with what appears to be the dreaded stretched timing chain it died and has been sat for a month and the bloody thing started first time and the fault has gone but not going to trust it so thought I would change it and be done with it.

Is there a guide to the engine removal, is it best to drop the lot out from under the car or take it out through the top ??

Thanks in advance

I would personally drop it out through the bottom and lift the car up and drag the engine out.

Are you 100% sure the chain is actually stretched and it hasnt just nackered a cam sensor and flagged the same fault code?

Fault codes are meant to erase after 24 hours of removing the battery, did you do that?

I replaced the top cam sensor and got the code cleared, it ran for 2 days and threw up cam sensor fault again, it refused to be wiped clear, refused to start and was pushed into the garden where it sat for a month, the battery was not disconnected, it started first time and no fault, I would much sooner it not be the chain but the only option is buy either another cam sensor in case the replacement was faulty ( the packet it came in was open ) buy the bottom crank sensor incase there has been confusion over which sensor was at fault, seems odd that if it was a stretched chain why it would clear by its self ?

Can you get to the timing tensioner to check how far thats out to confirm if it is the chain before removing engine ??

Fault codes were cleared with a snap on solaris, well they were till it refused to put the light out and refused to start

you,re best to remove the side cover and check the tensioner extension first eh (10mm or more means the chain is knackered eh fwn )

side cover is this on the end of the engine where timing chain is, did have a quick look but nothing stood out, will go down to garage and remove that first and report back

Back