K12 Boot Fails to Unlock and Randomly Opens when Driving.

This problem has probably been discussed before but I thought I would share my experience. Nothing like a refresher.
I have a 2007 1.4 K12 Micra.
The boot failed to open when depressing the rubber boot opening switch.

These switches are French made and are of poor quality but worse still water will enter the switch housing on the tailgate shroud and eventually corrode the electrical contacts of the switch to give you the fault I have described. WD40 spray will NOT fix this problem so don't bother with that as a remedy.
Also.... and I have proven this beyond all doubt this fault will drain your battery in a very short time. Mine drained overnight. With this electrical short circuit it is like leaving the lights on.
Nissan are aware of this defective switch but are not interested and just want to charge you an outrageous sum of money to fit a new FRENCH switch. £170 was being quoted.
So go to ebay and type in "Micra Boot Lock Repair" and a very helpful Chap will repair your boot lock for under £25 by fitting an uprated weatherproof switch. He has all the details for you to follow.
I did this last week. Problem solved when repaired boot switch refitted to the car.
I have no connection with this repair service but I do think it is worthy of passing this information on.

Back