k11 severe body roll, suspension?

J

James H

Hi

I have a W reg 2000 Micra 1.0 Celebration same as this:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/af/32/76_2.JPG

It was my moms car but I passed my test this March and have been driving it since.

I noticed straight away how much the car leans when going round corners but I've got to the stage now that I'd really like to do something about it.

I think it's probably because the suspensions too soft? It's just stock suspension.

Is there anyway I could make the suspension harder? I know nothing about cars under the bonnet, just driving them so I'd probably have to take it to a garage, or would I have to buy new, harder suspension all round?

Seriously when going around roundabouts, residential junctions the lean is incredible it feels like it's going to flip on its side, it's actually really uncomfortable as a driver. Most of the time I drive solo anyway, when I've got 3 people in the car it's beyond ridiculous.

Anyone else suffer from body roll?

I have good tyres, pirellis with plenty of tread on the stock (13" are they I think?) wheels.

The thing is it is such a fun little car and the handling overall isn't bad, I think if it didn't roll it would be GREAT handling, I'd be able to chuck it into corners etc.

i think everyone used to have poor body roll etc etc.

as for suspension, you will have mixed suggestions on this one. I personally have bilstein shocks and eibach springs, made it handle like a different car :)

others run KYB shocks the list is nearly endless of different shocks and spring makers :)

for best preformance you want coilovers. A new thread has just started about this, telling you where to get hold of them :)

Hope this helps

check to see if you have a rear antiroll bar, chances are you havn't as its a post 2000, so find a rear antiroll bar and links etc and get it fitted and it should stop some of roll

Uprated swaybars all round will cancel out alot of your bodyroll.

Swaybars/Antiroll bars are the proper way to get rid of body roll - not harder springs.

The trouble is that the post 2000 rear axle doesn't have the brackets for the anti roll bar, so you would need to get a pre 2000 axle as well. You would be as well off lowering the springs and putting 14" wheels with lower profile tyres on making it look and handle better at the same time.

my handling was terrible when i first got my car, i changed the suspension cos it was the dampers that were goosed and added an front strut brace, i have just put 195/45 15's onto the car and i can say that it handles much better than it did

I currently have a boat - i mean micra. It's a crap ride and will be uprating it to the following:

eibach springs all round
koni adjustables on the front
Not sure what the rear shocks are...
Whiteline front and rear anti-roll bar
OMP Front Strut brace and maybe a rear one (depending on funds)

Also wider alloys give you more grip (with the right tyer) but this can back fire on you...

Why not try some 13" alloys as there wider than normal steelies

Back