K11 not starting - diagnostic say ignition system failure - but where ?

I've had this N reg for a few months and it's been fine. Sadly I caused the problem when it overheated (obviously not fully antifreezed) shortly after starting in the morning (no problems starting then). I left it to cool down/de-frost but simply won't start; the engine turns over easily but there's no spark.
I have a Haynes workshop manual so I was able to check the ECCS codes. I'm sure that initially there was an "overheat" but I reset them and tried to start and that's when it reported the "ignition system" fault. At that point it was taken to the local garage (who are good) but even with their better diagnostic software it still only says "ignition system" failure which isn't that helpful; and, of course, they are fairly busy and haven't that much time to spend...they have said that they've looked at the obvious - of course.
I'm wondering whether the actual ECCS could be damaged and I'm tempted just to see what I can get from the second hand parts people.
Any suggestions welcome.

its very rare for an ecu to fail will, more usually the dizzy fwn
there,s a thread a few months back with some diagnostic meter testing info on the dizzy wiring

thanks - I did do a search (honestly) but noticed the thread "Ignition System Fault...Someones Stole My Lightning" which does seem much the same, except for the initial cause, perhaps. But in my case with all the electricals in the distributor it's perhaps not surprising that the overheating did cause a problem - although I have to say that if the overheating was stopped earlier - before it did any damage...
I've ordered a second-hand distributor
I'll have another look for the thread you mention.

Just to complete the thread - the replacement distributor did the trick and I now have a running car again.

I did retrieve the old distributor so I might investigate what actually had failed...

Now to give it a service.

Back