K11 ignition issue

I have a problem with my 2002 K11 Micra Tempest and wonder if anyone has a view on it - it first occurred in around July 2018, then again in January 2020, then again a few days back...

The issue involves the whole car seeming to simply die - on attempting to start it, turning the key in the ignition produces no response other than to cause the odometer/ clock display to flicker on and off and the lights to do the same - i.e. there is no turn-over. Every time this has happened, unlocking and locking the driver's door has resulted in a "click click click click" sound instead the usual "clunk". On the second occasion that this happened, I'd almost forgotten the first time as it had been over 18 months previously, but I eventually managed to get the car to start by repeatedly locking and unlocking the driver's door until I got a "clunk" rather than "click click click click", at which point the car started without issue - which tends to suggest that the problem may be something to do with the locking mechanism not being properly engaged. I'm wondering if there's some mechanism that prevents the engine from being started if it "thinks" the doors are locked...

Is this a problem that anyone else has encountered and if so, what could I potentially do to fix it? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Never heard of anything like that before, you should be able to drive the car with the doors locked/unlocked or wide open if you wanted

My best guess is that it's a ground fault or something has chewed through the wiring. The starter motor not making a sound is usually a dead starter, but since it does work there has to be a loose/rusted connection or a bad ground somewhere, but why messing with the doors fixes it is anyone's guess - only an electrical engineer or a priest could explain that

Back