faulty ignition switch ?

hi, everyone. i have a problem with my 2002 1.0 k11. ignition switch. if i switch it on slowly 1 click at a time, its fine.. if its switched on quickly, most times i get no starting, just the ignition lights.( a few times ive heard a click from the starter.) after this happens i can try 5/6 times, slowly, nothing. if i wait a minute or so it will start. a mate of mine says, the back part of the switch has a a plastic square recess which the switch bar fits into. he says this becomes " rounded" and will cause the non starting. ( i did on his car).if so, has anyone else had this problem ? cheers , steve ( hebburn)

hi, everyone. i have a problem with my 2002 1.0 k11. ignition switch. if i switch it on slowly 1 click at a time, its fine.. if its switched on quickly, most times i get no starting, just the ignition lights.( a few times ive heard a click from the starter.) after this happens i can try 5/6 times, slowly, nothing. if i wait a minute or so it will start. a mate of mine says, the back part of the switch has a a plastic square recess which the switch bar fits into. he says this becomes " rounded" and will cause the non starting. ( i did on his car).if so, has anyone else had this problem ? cheers , steve ( hebburn)

Replace the switch assembly ASAP

Common problem worn out failure & fortunately yours has failed safe thus far. They can fail unsafe resulting in apparent normal operation but the switch contacts can keep the starter motor engaged with the engine while driving. The starter motor is then driven by the engine and then operates as an unregulated generator that can cook itself and the ECU.

Use the search function, top RHS on MSC pages.

https://www.micra.org.uk/search/11085351/?q=ignition+switch&o=relevance&c[node]=22

hi, just an update, the new ignition switch came today and is now fitted. on stripping the old switch i found it totally burnt out and covered in black carbon ! just as well it was replaced... bought mine £11.49 from ebay. very pleased i did . steve .(hebburn)