K11 engine is hesitant, whats the problem?

I have a 01 micra with 1litre engine. Car starts fine but doesnt rev up through the rev range. It will just stop reving when i boot it. I can get up speed gradually by touching the throttle.

Any one else experienced this?

Thanks

guy i bought it off said there were no fault codes but havent actually checked for myself yet! Never thought of fuel pump! has no one had a similar problem?

we,ve had a few pump fails due to a rusty fuel filler pipe before (water ingress) but coilpack (post 2000) k11 running issues tend to be maf related

MAF should show as a separate p0100-p0104 code, lean mixture p0170 or p0171.

Personally i would have it put on a diagnostic reader with live data capability. Problem is these days is too much emphasis is placed on these codes, people just change what the computer tells them and can in some cases end up spending a fortune on needless parts. DIY mechanics is fine to a point, lets face it, its in our nature to try and cure problems ourselves!! but today's cars make this task extremely difficult (whereas the idea of EOBD originally was to make it easier...lol)
The trouble is that, for example, a p0170 code will tell you its a lean mixture bank 1.....what do you buy first??? , o2 sensor? theres your first £100 gone, problem still there.....sensor non returnable. I work as a mechanic for a living and work with bosch diagnostics equipment and believe me, i never trust the code, only the live data (and common sense). If i did then we would be out of business long ago hahahaha

Disconnected the sensor at the MAF... Car runs dead on now! But engine management light is now on. Will it do any harm leaving this disconnected?

Disconnected the sensor at the MAF... Car runs dead on now! But engine management light is now on. Will it do any harm leaving this disconnected?

Short term, no. effectively all you are doing is causing the ecu to run default settings. You will find that economy will suffer as your engine will not be performing as efficiently as it could. If it is running better with it disconnected then there is no doubt its faulty...as frank quite rightly pointed out, bosch MAF's are terrible, unfortunately they are fitted to a vast range of cars, pretty much 80-90% of modern diesels use them too. If you cross match the numbers on google you should get a good list of cars using the same unit as you, could make it easier for you. (i really wouldnt bother though, just get a new one altogether)

Back