engine problem: becoming dangerous

problem started last week on my way home from cumbria(lake district) i had been campin, on the motorway i was only running on 3cylinders which was abit annoying, when i got home i checked for a spark and got a spark. but after that the car run fine for a few hours. then when setting off from some lights i found myself going nowhere, the car had no power at all, foot to the floor wasnt even reving the engine, suddenly it came back to life leaving me with a burning rubber smell from the tyres!

now every so often the car will do what it did at the lights and i dunno why, its becoming dangerous because if i pull out a sideroad on the mainroad,cars are having to slow down even if i have plenty of time to get out. i have ran some injector cleaner threw and thats not helped, now im thinking that it maybe the TB but i only re-solder it not so long since!

anyone any ideas??

sorry for such a long post

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
was gonan say TB. check it make sure the connection is still good.
soudns ominously liek dizzy aswell though. check that out

R

RIK

cant see the TB making it run on 3,,but im not sure,try a new dizzy,have you tried new plugs and leads? e,c,u reset?

make sure all earths are o.k,,,all connectors are on firm,

if its intermitant like you sed,one minute o.k next its running ****e,,its deffinatly electrical

ide like to know wot this is wen you get it sorted ,keep me informed matey

changed the dizzy and leads but its still happening. its p155ing me off. will have to do TB again.

does the MSC have a guide on re-soldering TBs, coz if not i can make one while im at it!

i have come across a crack in the exhaust manifold, where it all joins together before the cat(standard manifold,not janspeed). doesnt seem to be blowing tho at idle but mayb when under load while driving it might be blowing given the lambda sensor bad signals.

what do u all think?

mot is on thrusday as well, can u fail on a cracked exhaust manifold, not blowing tho!

R

RIK

yep thats a problem,,it needs to be fixed mate,it will make a difference to how it is running

M

mmikra

Ok I was hoping to find the translations but just for stupid 'ol me, will someone please translated TB and Dizzy (distributor?)?

And while I'm here :slm: what's the best/easiest way to check for a spark on each HT lead given the plug leads are at the far end of a 1000 metre plastic tube :laugh: ?

And to close - where on earth (ho ho) is the ignition coil - is it built into the distrubutor - sorry dizzy?

Seriously though, I'd appreciate knowing some of this stuff.