K11 automatics ?

Hello, new here, i would like some info on the k11 automatic models of micra, i.e common problems they have and also if there's anyone on this site that has owned or currently owns a automatic. I am looking for a automatic car and read that earlier models of the micra where better than the k12 that suffers from the slack timing chain problem and is expensive to fix.

I asked about the k12's before finding out there problems on the k12 section of the forum, with limited responce on them. Hopeing for more help on the k11 auto models, thanks, Mike. :)

I have a '99 K11 automatic, 1L. Covered 30000 mls since I bought it. Not the fastest but does the job to bring you from A to B.
No problems with the gearbox so far.

I have a '99 K11 automatic, 1L. Covered 30000 mls since I bought it. Not the fastest but does the job to bring you from A to B.
No problems with the gearbox so far.

Great, sounds positive news there, that's what i want it for getting from A - B, thanks for replying :)

I have one, marvellous. Not as nippy as manual. I had an issue where I was getting electromagnetic clutch issues and my rear main oil seal was pushing oil through. Going down the motor way I ended up blowing my cat and back box up. The gearbox then sprung into life and clutch seemed to be engaging more. Oil leak now fine I do believe. Motorway miles are a doddle now!

Despite the numerous stories you hear about faulty CVT gearboxes, I never had problems with my Micra's K11.

We had a '93 and a '95 and made a lot of miles on those. Now we own a '98 and a '00 also both 1.3 with CVT automatic. And they are still going strong. Not fast from standing start, but while drivng it is quite ok. Besides normal maintenaice, I regularly changed the N-CVT oil that is the only things what has been done during all those years of K11 drivng. ;)

Despite the numerous stories you hear about faulty CVT gearboxes, I never had problems with my Micra's K11.

We had a '93 and a '95 and made a lot of miles on those. Now we own a '98 and a '00 also both 1.3 with CVT automatic. And they are still going strong. Not fast from standing start, but while drivng it is quite ok. Besides normal maintenaice, I regularly changed the N-CVT oil that is the only things what has been done during all those years of K11 drivng. ;)

You now make me have good faith in my motor :D I was a tad worried.

Hi

I had 2 K11's 1994 and 1997 and a K12 2005 on Motability I presently own a 2001 51 reg K11 all automatics as I have a physical disability and only hold an automatic licence. Regarding the mechanics on both the K11's and K12 never had a problem all had a good smooth drive. However, Motability took back the K12 in 2007 after 2 years as there was a fault with the remote entry system. This wasn't just specific to the Micra the problem was found across the range of Nissans that had it fitted. It was a box with a metal key folded up in one corner of the box for manual entry and starting I could never pull it out as it was just too fiddly. You keep the box on you and when at your K12 you could open the door and start the engine by a button that was located on the side of the steering column this also had a plastic cover in its centre that you opened to allow you to insert the key as normal if you wanted to start the Micra the conventional way otherwise you just turned the button as you would do with a normal ignition. The chip in the box and in the Micra were changed several times as the remote entry kept failing and my mother ended up being locked in side after a shopping trip and we had to call the RAC out. When it went back for its service I was given a Note as a courtesy car which had a normal key and ignition and was told that Nissan had stopped using the remote system as so many cars across the range with this were found to have faults. If thinking about buying a K12 automatic or manual my advice would be to avoid any car with an 03/53-07 plate as they stopped installing the system into cars in 07 so anything from then onwards wont have this issue. I now own a K11 automatic 51 reg (see my avatar its on the right with my Renault 5 F reg Supercinq automatic on the left). I have been very lucky as it was previously owned by an old lady and the day that I bought it had only done 7068 miles and its mileage has been verified by VOSA. In reading online reviews for the K11 I found that nearly every reviewer remarked on the K11's reliability that it never let them down I have had this K11 for nearly 6 months now and I bought it in the dead of winter and it has never let me down the CVT is good I never had any mechanical issues with either of the 2 K11's that I had on Motability so would also conclude that it is a reliable car. Studying mileage of K11's on Ebay both manual and automatic many seem to have done under 60K and so few have done their expected average mileage. Having just said that about the K12 someone has posted over in the K12 section in a thread about changing from a K11 to K12 that the K11 is a far better car then the K12 see here: http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/migrating-from-k11-to-k12-a-reliability-shocker.51472/

Regards

Harley

A long (but good) reply Harley.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Me too have been driving/owning a K12 A/T('04). Bought it brandnew and it was the worse car I ever had... :(
No electronically issues (yet), but engine was using more oil than I could handle (1ltr every 1000kms). so I have been driving that car only for 6 months. I was just sick and tired going in and out of the garage with it, so I sold it. The reason why I still drive Nissan, was the proven reliabilty of the K11 1.3 N-CVT '93 model of my wife. Every since than I am only driving 'old' Nissan's and I love them.

My latest car is basically an old 'new' K11 1.3 N-CVT with Aircon, power windows and super low mileage. I am the second owner of that car, the previous owners was 91 y/o. ;) It even smells new...! My wifes car is also a 1.3 N-CVT but 2 years older. Scratches and bumps all over the car (bought it really cheap), unloved by previous owners, but technically a really good car. Now the car is in good hands. ;)

So SirChris, from my point of view you don't have to worry about your car.

i have a 1997 1.3 cvt, with 50.000km... never had problem with the gearbox
last year i changed for the first time the cvt oil (just for the age of the car)

Ta Chiba, have been wondering when the demise would come... This thread settles me alot. Do you, or anyone for that matter have suggestions on when the gearbox oil should be changed? Any special needs to take extra car over an automatic. I think I will shove up a thread actually. Would still appreciate all of your opinions and knowledge.

Had mine for 9 months now, a 2000 model car. No probs at all with the gearbox at all since then, has worked fine and am very happy.

Ta Chiba, have been wondering when the demise would come... This thread settles me alot. Do you, or anyone for that matter have suggestions on when the gearbox oil should be changed? Any special needs to take extra car over an automatic. I think I will shove up a thread actually. Would still appreciate all of your opinions and knowledge.

I know people who never(!) had the N-CVT oil changed and the car is still going... and maybe I am a little bit too fuzzy about my cars, but I change the N-CVT mission oil every 2 years or 45.000kms according to the maintenance book.

Basically when you check the N-CVT dipstick the oil chould be nice, fresh and red and should'nt have a burned smell or something like that.

My current K11 did have an advisory on it's MOT in October last year that there was a stain that suggested that the PAS fluid was leaking a bit. Then someone put a dent in the O/S quarter panel and the insurance had it declared Cat. D and it was repaired requiring a new MOT in January this year but on that MOT there were no advisories whatsoever.

Apologies for the previous long post but I thought it worth explaining the problems that I had with the K12 Auto that I had on Motability.

Back