Engine light flashing after battery change plus pos.electrics problem

Hi there. I killed my battery yesterday by leaving the lights on for six hours. Car wouldn't start, even after a jump.

I changed the battery a moment ago, and everything seems fine, except for one thing. The car starts completely fine, but none of the dashboard lights come on UNTIL I blip the accelerator. At which point everything comes on, along with the check engine light, which flashes.

There's no misfires, no problems starting, and this issue didn't exist before I changed the batteries.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Also, the clock seems to reset itself if the engine is left off for a few minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, just realised something else:

Turning the key doesn't allow me to activate the radio, wipers, or anything else, but everything works fine once I actually start the car and then press the accelerator. That act turns everything on, and then it all works fine, save for the flashing engine light!

Car is an S reg Nissan Micra Ally

Sorry, just realised something else:

Turning the key doesn't allow me to activate the radio, wipers, or anything else, but everything works fine once I actually start the car and then press the accelerator. That act turns everything on, and then it all works fine, save for the flashing engine light!

Car is an S reg Nissan Micra Ally

it sounds like one of the main wire feeds has blown :eek: so that the starter circuit is ok but there,s no feed to the dash etc till the alternator kicks in
main fuse under the bonnet maybe ?

Thanks for the reply, Frank. That sounds pretty reasonable. Is this a problem I can just ignore, or is it something that requires an immediate fix?

it sounds like one of the main wire feeds has blown :eek: so that the starter circuit is ok but there,s no feed to the dash etc till the alternator kicks in
main fuse under the bonnet maybe ?

also main wires feed into the ignition switch,where a nice rev up can temp arc up between broken parts?
and nice cheap option to start with/illiminate

Back