K11 1.3 auto - Conked out, now wont start

I was driving home a few weeks ago and my micra conked out and would not restart, i can hear the fuel pump priming but have no spark and i think it may be the coil :(. but i dont know how to test it - i have a multimetre. so some quick instructions would be awsome :grinning:

or do you think it could be somthing else??
its a 1995 so no NATS.

cheers
mike.

have you tryed giving the gear selector a jiggle -inside and also on top of the gearbox) iirc there is a starter inhibitor on the gearbox selector switch ( what sits on to of the gearbox)

the inhibitor is there to stop you starting the car in gear and over time knackering the gearbox

Just an idea as its a common fault in damp weather and older auto's (after ten years or so the grease in the selector switch drys out)

do you know if your brake lights/ reverse lights flicker at all ??

another quick suggestion

with the engine off but the ignition on run the through the gears from park down to 1st then back to park do it a few time and see if it will start. if it does its deffo the inhibitor switch. if you google it tis a common fault

I cant say iv notied my lights, but i havt seen the car in a week (at my parents house) i will give the gear selector a wiggle and investigate. My only thought on that is that when you select R or D it wont let you start the car but it does not turn over just turns everything off, but at the moment it will turn over. Thats why i think its more engine related.

on a side note - are micras quite quiet when turning over? it seems very quiet compared to other cars iv owned????

cheers, mike

you shouldnt be able to start the car unless its in park (this is the inhibitor switch)

silly question the frost/cold/snow hasnt killed the battery ??, check the battery with a multi meter it should be around 11.5-12v any lower and the battery will of had it esp in this weather

fixed a few micras over the years but what you saying does sound like the inhibitor switch, had the same symptoms on a 1.4 auto corsa (my own car) i re-packed the switch with grease what lasted about a year then i ordered a new switch never had the problem again

As you say there is no spark i would check the dizzy cap, rotar arm.... or leads. It maybe the dizzy or as you say the coil?

still broken :(

right, i have changed the coil and it has not worked, gave the selector a good wiggle up and down - nothing. i still think its spark related but i dont think its the leads or cap cos the car cut out while i was driving and it wouldnt do that - and it would probs start again just run poo.

so micra dudes - any othe ideas???

all help is as always greatly appriciated :grinning:
mike

Back