K11 1.0 Wont start

I'm sure this has been covered before but I am new to the club so I hope someone can help. The wifes K11 was running fine then lost power and stopped. It would not restart. Have had the car recovered home. The battery is fully charged and terminals are OK. It will turn over perfectly, fueling seems fine, but there is no spark when I turn the car over with spark plug resting on cylinder head. There are no fault lights on the dash and the NATS light goes out as usual when ignition is on. Gut feeling is that it is an electrical fault where do I start to look.

I think the cap is OK and there is a smell of fuel and I can hear the fuel pump, anyway the problem is no spark? Does anyone know about ignition modules is there a coil pack that could fail causing no spark? Ho do I check these parts of the distributor?

I think the cap is OK and there is a smell of fuel and I can hear the fuel pump, anyway the problem is no spark? Does anyone know about ignition modules is there a coil pack that could fail causing no spark? Ho do I check these parts of the distributor?

the coil is inside the dizzy (if yours is pre 2000 ?) and i posted some meter test values for the dizzy wiring a while back :grinning:

It is a 97/P so it does not have 4 coil packs I was wondering if there was one inside the distributor or any other component that could fail inside it. As I have limited knowledge on this type of dizzy I was wondering if there were any checks I could do to see if power is getting to the distributor as there is definately no spark at the plugs

yes they are prone to coil failure, ideally you,re best to test yours before forking out for another one tho eh

Frank just one more question before I get under the bonnet this weekend. About 2 months ago the car was having intermittent power loss I put it down to dry solder joints in the throttle body and did the repairby re-soldering. The car behaved perfectly after that. Could the the throttle body have any connection to the lack of spark or is that really only concerned with fueling?

I have tested the resistance and votage readings on the supplies to the dizzy which all seem fine (looking at the pevious post on power supply to dizzy) so I think the internal coil pack has probably failed. But they are £50 and it could be another component in the dizzy. There are new distributors on ebay for £80 delivered so I will give one a go and report back once fitted.

Just to let anyone know for the record. I bought the new alternator for £81 delivered (genuine Lucas) Fitted it today and Hey Presto it started immediately. It was probably the coil as Frank suggested but at £50 for just the coil I thought a new alternator would be the better bet. Thanks for all your help.

Back