K11 1.0L with 1.3 cams wont start?

Hi there guys, I'm bit of a noob when it comes to engines and that type of stuff (self learner) so I need your help here. I have fitted cams from a 1.3L Micra into mine which is 1.0L. Done everything like it was was for example the chain and position of it I made sure it was in the same spot as before taking the old cams out, all the cables plugged in, spark plug cables and everything is in same place, the little notch that goes into the exhaust cam is in the right orientation (should only go in one way if Im correct), and rocket cover etc everything back as it was. Trying to turn the key today after I've assembled it all and it just wont start, It sounds like there is spark, the started motor works as it should, battery fully charged but still wont start for some reason!! Also the engine is spinning as it should full of oil etc!

Do I have to adjust something or anything else i need to do for it to work?? I've seen stuff on this forum about those cams being a direct swap so I though I give it a try and now it wont start very frustrating, can you guys please help me?

Thank You in advance,

Seb!

do your lobes on cyl 2 and 3 line up like this seb ? at tdc

as cam.JPG

Hi frank, thank you for reply!!

When i took the rocket cover out and before taking the old ones out i wrote down the position of the cams and the 2nd cyl was at 2 oclock and 3rd was at 12 oclock?

Ive put them back to the same position, now i cant see what they positioned like my rocket cover is back on.

Why do they have to be positioned like that?

can you post a pic of yours like my one mate ^ with the crank pulley on tdc (the 2nd notch from the left)

the yellow 2nd notch on the crank pulley (top dead centre cyl #1) then take a pic at the same angle as mine :)

which one is the crank pulley and where is that notch you on about Frank, sorry I'm never done this before and I don't understand most of the technical forms of stuff as im Polish hehe!

Which one?

2s0bfv5.jpg

Ohh I see now mate sorry haha! So that little hole has to line up with the pin thing okay! (arggghh got work soon)

Yeaaaaa I seen it now haha! Numpty me! Ermm heres the picture like yours with the second notch lining up on crank shaft pulley

2ln96av.jpg

Also I saw that the colored bits on chain doesnt line up with the dots on the chain wheels, seems like both are off by one joint on the chain is that good or bad?

dont worry about the coloured links seb, the lobes look ok tbh (maybe 1 tooth retarded, but that would,nt cause a non-start)

Ahh right though that would matter really? What can cause not starting it, i really dont have idea what can it be.. :(

Heres the pic of what im on about, should i try and align them and see if it start or i dont know really

xazbqs.jpg

yeh the dots are lining with the female links now eh (they lined up with the outer/male links on your previous pic) they are still 5 complete links apart (dot to dot) so the cams are synced together ok but the crank had turned 1 tooth while you were refitting the sprockets

It looks spot on to me Seb. As long as the crank pulley is lined up with the 2nd mark (yellow) and the cams are in this position then it's fine mate.

I presume your rotating the crank clockwise when you turn the engine over by hand?

What should I do now then, what would be next step is everything is lined up?
you need to remove a sprocket and turn the 2 cams forward 1 tooth seb, but dont force anything, and afterwards turn the engine by hand a couple of turns, and post a pic before you try to start it

What so from looking at the picture I send I have to rotate it clockwise or anticlockwise or simply line up the dots with coloured chain bits? Thank you once again Frank!

i doubt if the coloured links will line up seb, you just need to rotate both cams clockwise 1 tooth, going by that pic :)

What so from looking at the picture I send I have to rotate it clockwise or anticlockwise or simply line up the dots with coloured chain bits? Thank you once again Frank!

And your definitely rotating the crank pulley clockwise Seb when you turn it over by hand?

Okay I will try that Frank.

Wehey I mainly turned it clockwise towards the exhaust manifold if that's correct but I think I did few rotations on it the other way before not too sure, does it matter what way you spin the cams?

And when you line up the crank pulley looking from top is it the line second from the left or second from the right if they go like this | | | | | |??

That's what I went by thanks hah! Does it matter what way I turn the engine via the cams or has to be just forward to exhaust manifold?

You have to turn the crank clockwise to take out the chain slack mate, then turn the cams clockwise while the chain is loose/removed

How do you rotate the crank, I seem to be struggling to access it it's lack of space there! Any ideas Frank?

Put a jack under the sump and once you remove the engine mount, lower the jack and engine about an inch, then you can get to the pulley thro the wheel well

Okay no problem I try that :). So to make sure what im doing Frank,

1. I have to move the sprockets a notch to the right so its one the RIGHT hand side of the yellow bit on the chain but on the MALE joint.

2. Make sure that the crank pulley is on second notch from the left (TDC)

Its that all correct? If yes I will post a picture after its done

Thanks, Seb

remove the inlet sprocket seb, with the crank on tdc/2nd notch, then pull the chain forward/slack so that you can slip the exh cam forward 1 tooth, then refit the inlet sprocket to suit

This is a picture after ive moved it by one notch Frank and the one underneath is crank 2nd notch (TDC)

t7opzm.jpg

-------------------------------------------

Crank second notch lobes picture

-------------------------------------------

kaic0g.jpg

Also the engine seems like its so much easier to spin there isn't that much or force needed and it rotated way more smoothly :)

thats good, bend the valves how? Should I put it back together now and start or theres something else to do Frank?

have you given the engine a few turns by hand ? and if the pistons hit the valves because the timing is out it bends them

I did and there isnt any knocks or anything like that. ahhh **** let hope it hasnt done that but it was only off by like one tooth so I think/hope didnt do any damage arghhh!

How would i know if there were bend would i hear it or something?

looks fine seb, lets hope you hav,nt bent the valves then !
Are you sure that's right?
The lobes on no.1 cylinder are 180 degrees out, in fact they all look 180 out?
Edit: just realised that it's prob ok, just that the crank has been spun 360

Back