k10 Question list. Any takers please

Hiya

Have been keeping a bit of a lazy blog on my micra and its progress. A few questions/queries have arisen and was wondering if any one could help me out please?

So here goes, and do bear in mind i'm an utter knob

1) so how i sort rust out then? on the sill, roof and boot. easiest way?

2) what are the ramifications/drawbacks of over tightening handbrake adjustment?

3) adjusting brake "auto adjusters" how easy is it for a noob to do

4) Car pulls to left slightly, i only noticed this after tightening handbrake, could this of caused it.

5) i decided to check all the cars fuses. There was nothing in the aircon fuse slot. So i put in a 15a fuse. Now when ignition is off, no lights on dash or whatever, I can turn the air con on. Is this right.

6) I've had 3 batteries and a multimeter. 1 shows no volts. Dead. 2 show 12v's. But dont seem to charge up in the car. Terminals show 14v when engine running. Any ideas?.

Thanks for any info guys :D

hi see no evil munkeyboi, aint seen no abandoned car honest :p
the self adjusters on the r/brakes tend to sieze up, and adjusting the cable can end up with the wrong geometry on the handbrake linkage (ie you need the arm in the drum to be fully retracted when the handbrake is off, else the leverage is all wrong)
if you take the drums off and post some pics (drum and shoes), someone will advise :)
and 14v shows it,s charging ok, 3 duff batteries ?

its a g reg, 1990 1.0 ls

got a number 7 to add if i may

7) on right of steering wheel is a switch. I think it's the fog lamps. But it appears to be doing sweet FA. The little light on it doesnt light up and it doesnt affect the lighting.

any ideas

if its the switch on the right below the air vent in a black plastic surround then it should just switch a red light on in the back bumper (when main beam front lights are on) if the switch does not light up when the main beam is on and no rear light there is a problem somehwere ;)

Steve

thanks

thats the very switch.
It doesnt light up ever, even with headlights on and doesnt turn on lights on bumper :(

cheers for info frank, will have to read the manual on how to do that.

thx too curtis,

this is what i got

259651312_o.jpg

Yeah thats just bog standard heaters lol, on the rear march K10s came with air con iirc

Also the rear fog light (the switch you are on about) Always blow! its a common fault, 3 of my 4 K10s didnt work

You need to replace the relay which is in the wiring loom under the dash behind that switch

Munkeyboi I have had some success recently using this green gell stuff to treat rust. Bought from halfords, it is quite expensive, cant remember what its called, but its basically kurust i think.

you rub the loose surface rust down, then brush on the gell. Leave it a while, 3 hours or so, then rub down a bit. Conitinue until you have all the rust gone. You need to paint over the naked metal fairly quickly to prevent it rusting any further.

That is what I have done with a satisfactory level of success.

Thank you guys.

So time to play find the relay and hunt the green rust goop.

Do i have to take of the entire dashboard to get to his relay.

Also, regarding the rust. Would green super goop be ok for these areas do you think. Am wondering in particular about the sill. All 3 of my rust spots are by some sort of rubber.

259651494_o.jpg

259651053_o.jpg

259651159_o.jpg

forget it,

car got clamped, i've not got cash to pay for its release. micra over.

Hopefully not, would you get the deposit back if you can get enough for the fine (sorry release fee) and tax? Apart from the rust which is treatable, you seem to have sorted out the initial problems and at such low mileage you'll have a good run with that car. K10s can run for well over 100k

BG

wooo hoooo

my mate's kindly paid the fine for me, £260 in total.

£100 for the fine and £160 deposit.

To get the £160 back, have to produce a valid tax disc in 14 days.

So im up against it now, will try to book an MOT for monday, see if/what it fails on and desperately try to sort it.

wooo hoooo

my mate's kindly paid the fine for me, £260 in total.

£100 for the fine and £160 deposit.

To get the £160 back, have to produce a valid tax disc in 14 days.

So im up against it now, will try to book an MOT for monday, see if/what it fails on and desperately try to sort it.

Great news, good luck! :)

its £100

but then they want £160 deposit as i cant produce a valid tax disc.

car only cost me £100 and im broke.
I got clamped TWICE in 2 weeks !! :p

Car was taken to car pound 1st time.
Release fee doubles after 24 hours to £200, plus £160 refundable tax disc surety, plus any daily pound charges.

2nd time I was clamped on a Sunday !!

Good luck.

motor factors should get parts same or next day if anything major is needed for the MOT also friends with garages helps :)

Best thing is to park with rear wheel right against the kerb, turn to full lock and put your own clamp on the rear roadside wheel. Bloody pariahs :mad:

BG

dropped of car for MOT, will be done tomorrow.

is a mate of mate doing it, so it should be an assured pass, but we'll see.

14 day timer has been started.

If i produce a tax disc between now and then i get £160 of the fine back,

assured pass my arse.

Car failed

needs a new exhaust and two holes welding.

:( gutted

anyone in or near london who can weld? Few cold ones in it for you.

That's very disappointing but it could have been a lot worse .. my K10 has needed a load spent on it for the last MOT and also a couple of expensive repairs in the meantime. Yours sounds like it's a good one :)

Shame I'm not near London as I'd be happy to do the welding for you :(

BG

Back